Chapter Thirty-One | Friends?

When Navier arrived at the western palace, she found the ladies anxiously waiting for her.

"You should have eaten without me."

"How could we? We wondered if something terrible happened again."

"You don't look good whenever you see the Emperor these days."

After calming them down, the ladies-in-waiting prepared themselves for the party, so Navier sat alone at her desk to check the schedule after the New Year’s celebrations. She had to see off the foreign guests, as well as accommodate those that wished to stay longer. Reports of any incidents also had to be handled thoroughly. If any foreigner had a legal problem, it had to be settled before they crossed the border.

The day passed quickly, and then it was time for the feast. Navier made another examination of herself in the mirror, and she saw that each of her ladies-in-waiting were splendidly dressed as well.

"Will you come to the party after the special banquet?"

"I don't know. I have to check the time…what's wrong, Laura?$

"Alischute—no, Lady Alischute is ill and cannot go to the party. If neither you nor her come, I'll just show my face and leave quickly."

Laura, who preferred to mingle with her peers, did not seem very interested in socializing with the other noblewomen.

"I'll be there if you wait for me, Laura."

Navier gave her a promise, and Laura smiled with excitement and quickly went to the grand hall for the party. The other ladies-in-waiting also followed suit, while Navier went to the Red Rose room for the special banquet.

Lively music filled the air, and the special guests were gathered together in groups of three or four. Navier walk towards Princess Veronique and Princess Circe, with a casual nod to everyone else, when she came across Grand Duke Kapmen first, who was holding a champagne glass. A large statue holding a flower basket and sword and a servant carrying champagne bottles stood symmetrically on either side of him, leaving no other way to pass.

Veronique looked over at her direction and about to come over when Grand Duke approached Navier first which made her to pause and wait. It would be rude of her interference if Grand Duke's intention was to have a conservation with the Empress.

"Are you enjoying yourself?"

A nod wouldn’t suffice as he was right in front of her, so Navier smiled and spoke to him. Before she bowed in greeting, it occurred to me that he ignored both her and Veronique along with Rashta yesterday.

"…Your Majesty."

Fortunately, Grand Duke Kapmen did not turn a blind eye to Navier this time. He didn't answer her question, however.

"Does the food suit your taste?"

Navier gave him a small bow for the second time without realizing it. Instead of answering her, he stared at the Empress again. His long, sharp eyes were something fierce.

This was Grand Duke Kapmen's first invitation to the banquet, and Navier had never interacted with this man until last year. She had little knowledge of his character. All she knew was that he was a grand duke from a desert country, and had graduated first from a magical academy.

As Navier waited for his reply, Kapmen asked her his own question out of nowhere.

"Is this the method of the Eastern Empire?"

"What do you mean?"

"In Rwibt, the Imona's and Imot's emotions are one. "

"The king and queen are one. That's amazing."