Chapter Eleven | Her Nest

I thought Sovieshu would force Navier to inquire the noblewomen again. But somehow, three days later, my ladies-in-waiting informed me that Count Pirnu’s daughter and a Baron Lant’s distant relative would serve as Rashta’s companions. Setting aside Baron Lant’s relative, it was surprising that Count Pirnu’s daughter would take on the job.

"Isn’t that young lady’s name Helen?"

I knew that the Pirnu family was a strong household.

"Yes, Your Highness."

Yet Helen somehow was the lady-in-waiting.

"Helen is inquisitive and has a good relationship with her father. Maybe she’s here for the Count’s sake."

"I suppose so."

I nodded and did not bring it up anymore.

Fortunately, a few hours later, I completely forgot about Rashta when I went for a walk with Navier and found the a familiar bird once again. There's no mistake that was the same bird Ergi had when we first met. I could felt the same mana from it. Ergi had said during our meeting at inn that it belongs to a friend. But what's it doing here?

I was amazed when the bird flew and hovered before Empress.

"Oh, the bird’s here again."

"See how it goes to the Empress! Amazing."

From what Empress's ladies-in-waiting are saying, it seemed this is not the first time this bird visited the Empress. When I stared at it, the bird fliched and look away as thought avoiding my gaze.

Ho. What a daring little one. Acting don't know me.

In any case, I also owed this bird my life in roundabout way. If not for it, I wouldn’t have met Ergi either. So I will pretend don't know, just this once.

Beside, Navier seems to be delighted that the bird had brought a note on its leg.

– But I’m smarter than a bird. I’m sobering up now.

She chuckled as she read the note. It was for no big reason in particular, she just laughed.

She then watered the bird, quickly wrote a reply.

– Looks like you’re not fully sober yet. What’s the bird’s name?

The ladies giggled again after seeing her note. I also chuckled a bit. Everyone mused on whether it was fun to write such letters. Navier kissed the bird’s small head and launched it into the sky, and it flapped its wings and flew away.

I noticed that Navier ended the letter with a question. Was she expecting the person who received the letter reply to her again?

Sounds like I should go squeeze some information about this bird’s owner out of Ergi. But maybe later, not now yet because I'm still ashamed to show my face after drinking incident.
.
.
.

The name I temporarily forgot about arrived back in my ears not long after.

"Empress. I’ve come to ask you something about Rashta."

Navier and I was busy discussing the New Year’s preparations with the minister of finance when Sovieshu brought her up.

"Is it urgent?"

Navier glanced at her watch, of it was not urgent, they could talk later. Preferably without others in the room. There was no rush about Rashta.

Yet instead of replying to her, Sovieshu looked at the minister, who stood up awkwardly from his seat and walked away. All the other officials followed suit. In a moment, only the three of us were left in the room. For some reason, Sovieshu stopped me from getting out of the room along with others. Was he seriously thinking that I'm interested about his concubine?