Chapter Four | Another Magic Bird

"If you're expecting me to say things like how strange or cute that a bird is knocking my window the moment I opened my eyes, you're going to disappointed."

I get up from the bed and moved to the window to opened it with a blank expression. The bird, the one that interfered my beauty sleep in early morning, unhesitately flew into my room and land on my bed while acting dumb.

"I know you could understand me. You reek of mana."

Obviously, it's a magic bird. Blue one this time.

Seriously, I've been taught that it's hard and quite tedious for a mage to raised an animal into a magical creature with intellectual, more so to raise a bird as one thus they're kind of rarity.

If one wants a magic bird that could understand human language, able to run specific arrands and obey to a master, one must have to infuse mana into the bird from egg until it's hatched and it's almost like giving birth something out of your mana, which sounds like a waste of time and mana in my opinion. I mean, who need magic birds when you could just use normal messenger birds?

But I've seen some mages who made a living out of hatching magical animals and selling them to nobility that bought them to display as exotic pets. This blue bird probably might be like those pets too.

Still, that doesn't explained why it's knocking on my window so early. It's also very unlikely that it feels attracted to my mana if it already have an owner.

I approached it carefully. When I reached out my hand, the bird quickly hopped on. It shook its wings and nuzzled its beak against the back of my hand. To be honest, I'm not really a pet loving person. I wanted one when I was younger and didn't know better but as I grow up, I only found it rather troublesome to took responsibility of another living being.

Yet for some reason, this unique blue magic bird made me wanted to stroked its small head and I did exactly that.

It was then I noticed a small piece of paper tied on its foot along with a familiar bracelet. It's a string of exquisite sapphire beads with silver chain, definitely the same bracelet Sovieshu gifted me in my last birthday and the one I lost not long ago. Somehow, I have a feeling that I know the owner of this bird and when I opened paper, I found a handwritten note in small script.

– To a certain heartless Princess who left it on the bed. Hope it could be considered as Pre-New Year's gift.

I couldn't help but let out a laugh, it's obvious who's the writer despite no name was attached. Seanna, Melanie and the maids chose that moment to entered the room after a knock.

"I see you've woke up earlier than usual, Your Highness."

"Oh, what a beautiful bird! It's color is so unique! Is that yours, Your Highness?"

"No, it belongs to someone else."

I smiled broadly and answered Melanie before I reached toward my table to write down a small note. Putting aside the note the bird brought safely into the drawer at the same time.

_To a certain Duke who seemed to quite mingy with his gift, just how many magic bird do you have anyway? PS. Thanks for the bracelet though.

Melanie, being the inquisitive one as she's, craned her head to watch me write the letter and tilted her head in confusion before bursted out an exclaim.

"A Duke? As in the one from Bluvohan that you mentioned not long ago? Since when you've been exchanging letters with him?!"

"Since just now..?"

Blinking twice, I responded simply and tucked away the pen, watered the bird, then tied my note onto its leg. The bird let me storke his blue feathers once more before it flew away.