Chapter Three | Absurdities

When I arrived Western wing, I was told that Empress was preparing for her dinner with Emperor.

Although Sovieshu and Navier were husband and wife, their bedrooms were at the eastern and western ends of the palace. It was said that the rooms were placed to show that the monarchy symbolically supported each side of the country. That meaning had now faded, and now it was a perfect arrangement for the Emperor and Empress to live without having to touch each other.

Although Sovieshu did not yet have a concubine, they ate and slept separately due to their busy schedules and led different lifestyles. However, they had dinner twice a week, and that was today.

Still, that doesn't explain why Navier would be preparing herself since noon. It's really unlike her.

When Navier finally was done with preparing, I noticed she's wearing  more methodically than usual. She's clothed in a glittering dress in her signature red, adorned with pearl ornaments in her hair and golden earrings, whilst her ladies-in-waiting were showering her with praise throughout. I knew they always cared for her, but today they seemed especially adamant.

"No matter how beautiful the slave is, you are our Empress."

My favorite snack, cookies from Navier's place, suddenly tasted bitter when I heard what Countess Eliza said to Navier as the Empress sat across from me with an apologetic look on her face for making me wait too long.

Why would they keep mentioning about that unknown woman in front of Navier too frequently? It wasn't like what they said is wrong. Navier is the most beautiful woman in my opinion. But it really soured the mood.

Unbeknownst to my opinion, another lady-in-waiting, Laura continued.

"Right! The Emperor will have to wash his eyes after he sees you. That dirty tramp is nothing compared to you!"

I have a feeling that their efforts felt empty and passed through Navier's ears.

She probably would be thinking along with the lines like if Sovieshu was going to fall in love with her for dressing beautifully, shouldn’t he have already done so before? Yet, even though she considered the efforts of the handmaids to be futile, Navier still entrusted herself to them. She's way too patient and kind for her own good.

"Sorry for the wait, Veena."

Navier started once her lady-in-waiting had enough with their praises.

"It's okay. I didn't waited that long. It wasn't like I've anything better to do anyway."

I admitted, offhandly as I crunched another bite out of the delightful cookies. Aware of the fact that I had unceremoniously out-stocked the cookies of Eastern wing, Navier gave me a knowing smile and pushed the plate closer toward me. See? Too kind.

"So, what brings you here?"

"Nothing much. I just wanted to check if someone is included in upcoming guests."

"Was that someone you wanted to invite? I could add another person in the list if that's the case."

"It depends whether or not he's already on the guest list."

Navier raised an eyebrow at my statement. I could tell her interested was rose to a certain degree for unknown reason and the ladies-in-waiting followed the suit.

"He? That's unexpected. I thought you're talking about your teacher."

I scrunched my nose at that. Why would I ever want to see that demonic mentor of mine? It felt like a blessing from heaven when I finally freed from her evil claws.