Chapter Eighteen | The First Dance

Communication with foreigners was recent. Moreover, most of the other ladies around looked surprised, as if the gossip was not a familiar topic that spread around society. In other words, the foreigners heard the rumors first and spread it to local aristocrats.

I felt dizzy and my knees were weak beneath me. People were laughing at Navier and me for sending gifts to Sovieshu’s lover in attempt to gain his attention. Especially Navier, she was being mocked as a pathetic Empress who had to try carrying favour with a mere Concubine for the sake of getting Emperor’s favor. The pride that she had mustered swiftly collapsed like a sand castle because of a single false rumor. No matter how much she tried to distance herself from Sovieshu and Rashta, Navier was buried.

"No."

Navier's voice was adamant, but was clear that the rumor was going to spread like wildfire. Navier clenched the champagne glass as my vision swam in front of me. I just wanted to go ahead and scream in rage, preferably beat up that woman for second time, but I could not reveal even a tremor here for the sake of our nation's reputation. As a result, I bite my lips and clenched my fingers until it drew blood wordlessly as Navier continued.

"Miss Rashta must have misunderstood something. Neither I nor Princess had sent any gift to her. I assure you."

Navier spoke calmly and the other ladies chuckled and said, "Is that so?"

I didn’t know whether they believed us or not. People tended to dismiss the excuses of those hurt by the gossip. I didn’t want to get involved as much as possible, but now that it came to this, there was nothing to be done. I would go to Sovieshu later and ask. After taking a deep sigh, I handed over the half-full glass to a servant. For now, I need to breathe. Hopefully, there should be no one in the balcony.

"Oh, I think the dance is about to start."

Before I could think of a simple excuse to leave, Duchess Tuania gave an exaggerated laugh. As she had observed, the musicians had stopped, flicking through their sheet music and speaking lowly to each other.

There was one rule at the ballroom dance–one could not dance with the same partner twice in a row. The rule allowed one to dance with multiple partners, but the partner for the first dance was considered the most meaningful.

The groups began to split up and search for their partners before going to the center. Those who did not want to dance moved to the periphery. I was one of those people.

'Sovieshu will have his first dance with Rashta.'

Since their marriage, Sovieshu always had his first dance with Navier. This year, however, as much as I hate it, I had a good inkling who his partner would be this time.

Having the same idea as me, Navier pretended to look away, when I could see Sovieshu taking Rashta’s hand and saying something to her. Rashta, happy, glanced at Navier. The look in her eyes turned to an apology, and Sovieshu’s head turned this way as well. Navier looked away before their eyes met, and she kept her chin high and strode away.

Since the only person who could ask the Empress for the first dance was the Emperor, Navier leave the area altogether to protect her pride.

Truely, this level of frustration I felt in Navier's stead is going to be the death of me.

Duchess Tuania, the most popular woman in high society, already had a number of suitors on their knees. I couldn’t help myself, but my eyes turned to Navier before Rashta and Sovieshu again. Sovieshu was talking to a nearby prime minister. Rashta was now looking closely at Duchess Tuania. And Navier stuck closer to the wall. I tried following her. However, a buzzing of voices broke out around me before I could reach my intended destination.