[22] Losing the war

Start from the beginning

"Natsu, why are you so irritated, it's so unlike you, cheer up, you just won and we need to cheer for Gray," Lis said and then offered me the chips, "You know I don't like the smell of that Saber here," I tried to whisper back to Lisanna.

"That's the point tho, he is not here for you, he's here for Lucy," Lis said disappointedly.

I was lost for words after Lisanna said that. I should be happy our team just won, it has been my only goal for the past years, to be the team captain and win when it's my year, but now that I got it, what is wrong with me. 

It wasn't helping that I hear Eucliff's voice from the short distance, he's really warming up to Lucy. 

I didn't care this much when I heard that Gadjeel likes Levy or when the part-timer at the cafe likes Erza, I knew them longer than Lucy, they are my childhood friends but I care more over Lucy than I do with them.

Does this make me a bad friend?

"Do you best, Gray-sama! Juvia loves you!" Juvia cheered the hardest she can as soon as the announcer started the competition introductions. I can almost hear Gray's complaints later today.

Gray as expected looked like he was effortlessly gliding in the water, his years of training did pay off as he was awarded with the gold medal.

"Good Job Gray!" Erza's cheer echoed in while the other girls were busy with calming down Juvia, she had too much fun cheering for him.

After the swimming competition, the day also ended, everyone was set to do their own celebratory party, as a team coach prepared a backyard party at his own house, everyone in the team and in the cheering squad were expected and all other sports team were invited. 

"At least smile you know, you're starting to look like you lost today," Lis said before leaving the me at the sofa, we were eating snacks before joining everyone but I was pre-occupied

I mean, how could I not? Not everyone is here, Lucy was asked out by that saber to a dinner and she didn't even think twice! It is bad enough that the girls tolerate him today but Gray didn't care too much of it and I didn't want to look bad trying to stop a 'good thing' from happening.

Cana said that in her tarot card reading that Lucy's good faith is starting soon, and the arrival of that jerk today was what they counted as the official start.

"You could use more drink with that stupid face," Gray pushed a cup of beer in my hands, a gulp didn't taste bad as I thought I would be so I took another one, almost emptying the cup in one go. 

"What happened? You looks upset." Gray asked.

"Don't I look happy? I just won today, why does everyone think I have a problem," I said tossing the empty cup to the center table. Gray didn't say a word, I felt stupid for almost shouting at him so I tried to calm down despite feeling too bothered and upset for some reason.

"It's just not fair to celebrate when we aren't complete..." I said not also sure whats my point gonna be. Gray sighed and sulked down in the sit with me.

"Lucy is having fun, everyone is having fun, except you. That sounds like a problem only a flame-brain like you would have," he said then lays his palm in front of me. 

"Give me your phone," I was curious but still handed it it him, he typed a few things before giving it back to me.

@Heart.Lucy: I waited so long to finally have ice cream! Thank you~ (tiger and heart emoji)

"You know the way to Ur's shop right? that's where she is, if you're so bothered, go and ruin her night." Gray then up and left the sofa too, he was reluctant to go out to the backyard since Juvia is there but the house wasn't too big to hide from her anyway.

I looked at the photo again, it looks like Sting took her photo across the table, she was holding a cup of vanilla and strawberry ice cream so close to her cheeks and she was smiling brightly, it feels as if she is smiling right in front of me and the worries I had over her safety was all gone.

I took a final glance at the photo before finally getting off my seat.

.

.

.

.

It has been a year! I am so sorry everyone, life happened and then my laptop was down for a few months and here we are a year later with a dusty draft hehe, thank you so much for waiting!! ILY