13

It was very far into the night and Merlin was still awake, trying out the spell. He whispered into the statue's ear, "Bebey odothay arisan quickum." He tried saying it loud, tried saying it soft. He tried it fast, and he tried it slow. He tried it up close to the statue, then far away.

Nothing happened.

Eventually he gave up again and crashed onto his bed. He walked up to Arthur's chambers to see of he was still awake.

"I thought  i told you to get out of my sight." Arthur faced away from Merlin.

"Don't fight Valiant in the final tomorrow... He'll use the shield against you."

"I know"

"Then withdraw! You have to withdraw."

"Don't you understand? I can't withdraw.' Arthur cut in. "The people expect their price to fight. How can I lead men into battle if they think I'm a coward?"

"Valiant will kill you! If you fight, you die!"

"Then I die."

Merlin shook his head. "How can you go out there and fight like that?"

"Because I have to. It's my duty."

*
*

In another part of the castle a knock could be heard on Conall De bois' door and confused on who it could be at this late hour, he put the feather, with which he had written on the pearchment in front of him just now, down and stood up.

The door opened and his eyes widened as he
saw a familiar face.

"Morgana? What happened?"

***

In the morning, Merlin was sitting in his bed with the magic book in his lap. "Bebey... odothay... arisan... quickum." He spoke drowsily.

*
*
*

In his chambers, Arthur's old serving boy, Morris, helped him put on his armor as Morgana walked in. Conall followed but stayed with frurrowed eybrows besides the door.  Morris bowed quickly, then left. Morgana walked over to Arthur and placed her hands on his back, fixing the gorget strap.

"Let me." She said, as Arthur turned around. She tightened the vambrace. "I used to help my father with his armor." She handed Arthur his helmet.

"Thanks." He said, and Morgana bowed her head. As Arthur turned to leave, Morgana spoke up. "Arthur? Be careful."

He nodded and smiled slightly. "See you at the feast."

Conall lay a hand on Morganas shoulder. "He's going to be fine.", he said trying to reassure her. But it sounded more as if he was trying to convince himself.

Arthur entered the arena and faced Valiant. They both put their helmets on, prepared to fight.

*

Merlin remained in his room, stll practicing the spell, but pronouncing it differently.

Maybe that would make a difference.

He closed his eyes. "Bebay odothay arisan
quickum." There was a slight growl. "Bebay odothay arisan quickum."

Bark!

Merlin opened his eyes and a little Rottweiler was standing there in the same position the statue had been.

Merlin grinned madly. "I did it!" The dog jumped at Merlin, and he rushed out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Gaius was walking into the Physician's Chambers. "Arthur's fighting Valiant!"