12

Arthur sat in his chair, turned away from Merlin. He shook his head. "I believed you, I trusted you, and...you made me look a complete fool"

"I know it didn't go exactly to plan.." Merlin said softly. Tears threatened to fall from his eyes out of embaressment and anger, but he blinked them away. He should have known that everyone related to Arthur was a prick.

"Didn't go as planned?" Arthur repeated. "My father and the entire royal court think l'm a coward. YOU HUMILIATED ME!"

"We can still expose Valiant." Merlin walked closer to him.

"I no longer require your services." He said sorely.

"You're sacking me?" Merlin asked, his mouth ajar.

"I need a servant I can trust.."

"You can trust me!"

"And look where it got me this time. Get out of my sight!" Arthur spat.

Merlin rushed out of the room, choked up a little, and went to visit the Great Dragon. He entered the cave and raised the torch.

"Where are you?" He called out. "I just came to tell you... whatever you think my destiny is- whatever it is you think I'm supposed to do...you've got the wrong person!" He lowered his hands. "That's it... Goodbye."

Merlin turned to leave, when the dragon spoke from somewhere in the cave. "If only it were so easy to escape one's destiny..." The dragon, Kilgharrah, flew down and
landed in front of Merlin, his chains scraping against the rock.

"How can it be my destiny to protect someone who hates me?"

"A half cannot truly hate that which makes it whole. Very soon you shall learn that."

"Ah, great." Merlin half-frowned with sarcasm. "Just what needed, another riddle"

"That your and Arthur's path lies together is but the truth."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Merlin shook his head.

"You know, young warlock..." A smile curled on Kilgharrah's snout. "This is not the end. It is the beginning." He flew back up to a higher rock.

"Just give me a straight answer!" Merlin yelled.

He exhaled, aggravated and walked out to the main square and sat on the steps, resting his head on his crossed arms.

"Hello, Merlin." Guinevere walked over.

"All right." Merlin mumbled and nodded.
Gwen sat down next to him. "Is it true what you said about Valiant using magic?"

Merlin nodded. "What are you going to do?"

"Why does everyone seem to think it's down to me to do something about it?" Merlin smiled a tiny bit.

"Because it is! Isn't it?" Gwen frowned. "You have to show everyone that you were right and they were wrong."

Merlin nodded jokingly. "And how do I do that?"

"...I don't know."

He turned his head and saw a dog statue across the square. He grinned and muttered.

"That's it." He stood up and started running to it. He would take the most logical way there was. He would fight magic with magic. If sire carrot prick didn't help him with saving Arthur, he would do it himself.

"Where are you going?" She stood up and followed him. He put his arms around the statue and tried lifting it. Alas, it was too heavy.

"Do you have a wheelbarrow?"

"Yes, why?" Gwen knit her eyebrows.

"I have an idea"

He borrowed a wheelbarrow and wheeled the dog statue into the Physician's Chambers.

"What are you doing with that?" Gaius asked, frowning.

"I'm going to let everyone see the snakes for themselves." Merlin said, pushing the statue to his room. He turned around and grinned widely and Gaius raised his eyebrows.

He brought the statue to his chambers and picked up his magic book. He hopped onto his bed, flipping open the book.

"Bebay odothay.." He began reciting a spell. "Bebay odothay arisan quickum."

He looked up at the statue, then back at the book, trying out the spell some more. "Bebay
odothay arisan quickum. Bebay odothay arisan quickum."

He jumped up and stood on his bed, pointing at the statue. "BEBAY" He gave up and clenched his fists.

***

Knight Valiant pushed Arthur down with his shield, drew out his sword and thrust it down into Arthur's body.

Morgana awoke abruptly from her nightmare. "Arthur!"

She climbed out of bed and looked out of the window and saw Arthur practicing his sword fighting in the square.