2

As Merlin slept, there was a voice in his head. "Merlin." The voice said softly. It repeated. "Merlin."

He awoke, got dressed and hopped out the door, where Gaius had prepared breakfast.

"I got you water" Gaius said, pouring a bowl of soup. "You didn't wash last night."

"Sorry" Merlin mumbled.

"Help yourself to breakfast"

Merlin sat down at the table and picked up his spoon. It looked like watery porridge. He played with it a little.

Merlin began to wonder if he'd have to live with Gaius' cooking all the time. As he was about to eat, Gaius slowly walked over
and pushed a bucket of water off the table.

Merlin turned his head, stood up, and again, instinctively used magic to catch it. He looked over at Gaius, who gasped.

Merlin turned back to the bucket, and it dropped.

"How did you do that? Did you incant a spell in your mind?"

Gaius asked in awe.

Merlin's jaw dropped defensively. "I don't know any spells."

"So what did you do?" He asked. "There must be something."

"It just happens." Merlin said, and walked over to get a mop.

"Well, we better keep you out of trouble.." Gaius raised an eyebrow. "You can help me until I find some paid work for you. Here."

He took a small sack of potion vials and set it
on a desk. "Hollyhock and Feverfew for Lady Percival, and this is for Sir Olwin. He's as blind as a weevil, so warn him not to take it all at once.

"Okay" Melin nodded.

"And, here." Gaius handed Merlin a plate with a sandwich. Merlin smiled and took it. "Off you go" Merlin began heading towards the door. "And Merlin! I need hardly tell you that the practice of any form of enchantments will get you killed."

Merlin nodded again, and left. He took a bite of his sandwich and wandered around, looking for Sir Olwin and Lady Percival. He walked through the square and down
another corridor. He knocked on a door and an elderly balding man answered, squinting horribly.

"Erm, I brought you your medicine."

Sir Olwin stuck out his hand for Merlin to place the vial in it. Merlin did so, and Olwin took it, popping out the cork and gulping it down.

"Oh, and Gaius said don't drink it all at.."
Olwin had finished by the time Merlin turned around. "...'m sure it's fine." Merlin muttered.

Merlin walked back out to the courtyard, crossing a drawbridge gate, and found the training grounds.

"Where's the target?" A young man called out. He had armor on, and he was carrying a sword. All of his friends laughed.

"There, sir?" A lowly serving boy named Morris pointed, surrounded by the other man and his friends.

"It's into the sun?" The man asked as if that were the worst place possible.

"It's not that bright." Morris said.

"A bit like you, then?" He raised his eyebrows and the other men laughed.

"I'll put the target on the other end, shall l, sir?" Morris picked up the target and carried it to another spot.

A knight a bit further away said, "Teach him a lesson. Go on, boy"

"This'll teach him." The annoying prat said, turning to his friends. He pulled out a dagger and threw it at the target whilst Morris was still carrying it.