[16] • "reflections."

➳

"Knock knock." I heard from outside of my tent, which I ventured into before the sun rose to prevent anyone from suspecting something more from Daryl and I. I shut my eyes in annoyance and kept sharpening my knife on the wet stone, ignoring the all too familiar sound of Rick's voice.

"JJ, we need to talk." I dropped the wet stone and placed my knife back into it's holster before stomping towards the front opening of the tent. I angrily unzipped it, shoving the flap open.
"Did the jury find me guilty?" I snickered.

"There is no jury. I'm trying to get the full story. I already spoke to Shane, Glenn, and Lori. You're next in line. Can I come in?" I rolled my eyes and moved to the side, gesturing for Rick to join me. I sat back down on the one thin blanket I had and picked up where I left off with sharpening my knife. Rick sat down across from me with his legs outstretched and his ankles crossed. He pulled his hat from his head, placing it in his lap as he combed his fingers through his sweat dripping curls. I glanced up at him.

"Do you want to know what I think?" He asked.
"Not particularly." I smiled sarcastically, scraping the blade even harsher than I previously was.
"I'll tell you anyway." He quipped back, picking at the dirt from under his fingernails. I sat silently as I waited for the other shoe to drop.

"I think you're a good person." My movements halted. I stared down at my hands before meeting the sheriff's eyes.

"Glenn told me about what you said. How you asked him to promise you that Shane wouldn't be in control of your safety while you climbed into the well. Lori mentioned how you were the one who came up with the idea, and even offered yourself." I nodded in response. What was I supposed to say? Is this an interrogation? I'm more adapted to not drinking the water they offer and always asking for a lawyer.

"Why were you worried about Shane?" Rick tilted his head in thought. So this was an interrogation. I scoffed at him, then quickly apologized for my crude humor.
"I don't trust liars. I don't trust cheats. But most importantly, I don't trust people who murder without reason." I let my hand dangle from my knee, holding both the stone and knife in one closed fist. I watched Rick's eyes wander for an explanation to my statement.

"You think Shane's a murderer?" I knew I was steering him away from his line of questioning. This was exactly what I had intended.

"What do you think happened to Otis?" I countered his question with one of my own.
"Shane said that he sacrificed himself, for Carl.." I cut him off before he could continue with the whole hero story I've heard too many times.
"You've known Shane for quite some time right?"
"Since high school." His thick brows tightened along his forehead in confusion, the wrinkle that sat above them deepening further into his skin.