[3] • "the hunt."

➳

The run was delayed a few days because Merle still wasn't back at the quarry. Neither was Daryl, but nobody seemed to worried about them. It kind of pissed me off. Although I had never met either Dixon, I knew that the group would be acting differently if it was Glenn or T-Dog who was missing. Lori advocated for them, assuring me that both men are very capable for themselves and would be more upset if we distracted their work. Shane had asked me to replace Merle's spot in the group for the run, but I had something planned.

Not only did I want to hunt myself, but the tiniest piece of me felt called to check on these guys. I know exactly how pissed they'd be, because I am the same way. There isn't anything more frustrating in the world than tracking game for days on end only to have some uneducated piece of shit ruin your chances by spooking off the animal with loud footsteps and even louder voices.

Glenn said Daryl was tracking a buck, which made sense as to why he wasn't back yet. A buck could feed this entire group a few full meals. I wouldn't give up on that chance either. Merle on the other hand went hunting only for himself. Shane said he came back by morning like he promised, yet he took off before the sun had risen once again.

"Which way did Daryl and Merle head out?" I asked while walking towards Shane. He peered down at my rifle as I screwed on the silencer. He watched me, almost carefully, while I strapped the three knives I normally have holstered even tighter to my hips and boot. I grabbed two more knives out of my pack, placing one in the boot without a knife and the other remained twirling between my fingers.

"Daryl headed west, Merle went east." I nodded in response before walking north. I sure as hell didn't want to find them on purpose. I was coming out here to hunt. It was a natural element for me, being outside alone with nothing but the environment surrounding me.

I grew up hiding in secluded areas with Fallon, trying to keep us safe from the overpopulated cities surrounding us. We didn't need to know anybody but each other, and the life we lived proved to us time and time again that sometimes humans are more dangerous than they are helpful. I was always more comfortable being in a place where nobody could see me unless I intended for them to.

The sense of satisfaction from catching the animal I was hunting for hours, sometimes weeks, never failed me. If Daryl or Merle felt the same way, I knew I wouldn't want to disturb them.

"JJ!" Shane called as I walked further away. I turned around at him and raised my eyebrows.
"We don't need you hunting with two people already out there. If you don't come back by sundown, we don't have anyone else to send out for you." He spoke as if showing me how concerned he was with my skills was kind. I rolled my eyes towards him.