Chapter 6

Inside the apartment, nothing had changed. It was still classy and clean. Men loitered around the room, doing various things. Big D sat in the middle of the leather sectional. A bunt was in his hand and a drink was on the table. He looked deceivingly well as he sat there as if he didn't have a care in the world. He wore a deep red robe and white pajama bottoms.

As I entered the room, he stood up, his robe gapping in the middle, revealing he didn't have on a shirt. He stretched out a hand for me, a smile gracing his handsome face. I smiled as well, but really, I was a little pissed. 

As I got closer, he grasped my hand and gently sat me on the couch. That was different because we usually hugged during our meetings. I guess he either didn't want me to hurt him with a hug or he didn't want me to get too close and discover his secret. I watched him slowly retake the seat he vacated.

"You're looking lovely today." Big D said, his voice slightly scratchy and low. "Anything you wanna tell me?"

"I'm feeling better about life and moving on," I told him, not even pretending to not know what he was talking about. "What I want to know is how you are doing."

Big D faltered as he reached to dump his ash. I eyed the older man that I had become so fond of over the last few years. Big D had proved himself as an ally and then a friend. He always came through for me. Whether I liked it or not, he was always there. He had taken me under his wing and given me the game. Now he was like family and he was like the father I had never had.

"I'm great," he replied as he quickly closed his robe in an attempt to hide the bandage I had already seen. "I'm good. As a matter of fact, I've been thinking about my retirement."

I reached forward, grabbed the remote, and started flicking channels. "Not a bad idea," I told him. "It's about that time, old man. You ain't getting no younger."

He laughed, which must have been painful as it turned into a cough, his hand holding his side. I put down the remote and handed him a bottle of water that sat nearby. "I really came by to make sure you were okay with my own eyes. What I really want to know is if you caught the motherfucker who shot you?"

He drank deeply from the bottle before setting it down again. "Who told you?"

"D, you must have forgotten this is my city, too. Not much is going to happen without me finding out. I got the news late, though."

He eased back onto the couch. "You're too smart for your own good."

"I got it from you."

"I'm fine, sweetheart," he said with a sigh. "Just a little tired. Nothing like almost being assassinated to put things in perspective. I've served the streets almost as long as I've been alive. I will be retiring soon and I just want to spend the rest of my days on somebody's beach, watching waves."

"Well Brick City isn't even close to a beach, but It's your home. I hope you don't go somewhere I gotta catch a flight to see you. Any news on who is responsible for this?" I gestured toward his stomach.

Big D shook his head, his eyes were serious as he said, "I don't want you getting involved in this, sweetheart. My people are on it. They will take care of it."

I scowled and leaned away from him. I felt like I had been smacked in the face. He had me fucked up. "Don't ask me that D. You were shot. Your blood is still on the steps of your building. That is not okay. My people are also looking for whoever had the audacity to fuck with you. If I catch them first, I will let you know."

"Anna," he growled, "You will stand down. These people are different monsters. They prey on people like you. Young women especially. Let me handle this. When I have them, I'll let you know."