Shall We Dance

En başından başla

Weiss looks at Y/n. "Well, between your study sessions for Oobleck's class and your movie nights together, there's been... rumors flying around saying that you and Velvet are-"

"Dating?" Y/n asks with a raised eyebrow. "Yeah, I'm well aware of those rumors," Y/n says before he takes another sip of his punch. "But that's what they are. Rumors. Velvet and I are just friends. Nothing more, and nothing less," Y/n says as he shrugs his shoulders.

"But don't you don't want to be more than friends?" Yang asks.

Y/n's eye twitches. "I already have a best friend, thank you very much! And I will never betray my best bro like that!" Y/n says before he finishes his drink. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go enjoy myself. It is a party after all." With that, Y/n walks away.

"Soooo, what do we do now?" Ruby asks.

"Have fun," Yang says before she and Weiss walk away in opposite directions.

"Wait, does that mean I can take off these stupid shoes?" Ruby asks her sister as she walks back to the podium to greet guests. With no response, Ruby lets out a deep sigh.

"Not enjoying yourself?" The voice of Professor Ozpin asks.

Ruby looks at Ozpin in surprise. She shakes her head and laughs. "Oh, no, everything's fine. I'm just not a fancy pantsy... dancy girl," she says.

"Well, you can't spend your entire life on the battlefield," the professor says. "But if you think about it, dancing and combat aren't polar opposites. Two partners interlocked, although one wrong move on the dance floor only ends with a swollen foot."

"Or a twisted ankle," Ruby comments.

"I suppose so. But it isn't every day that friends can come together like this and enjoy themselves," Ozpin says as he and Ruby see Y/n asking Weiss to dance. "After all, time has a way of testing our bonds, but nights like these can help keep them stronger than ever. Nights like these are ones we'll never forget," Ozpin says in a rare display of his age before he leaves to continue his chaperoning duties. A few minutes later, Jaune walks over to the punch bowl.

"I see you're hiding at the punch bowl too," Jaune says as he pours himself a drink.

"Yep," Ruby says.

"To the socially awkward," Jaune says as he and Ruby clink their glasses together.

"I take it things didn't work out with Weiss," Ruby says.

Jaune looks at Y/n and Weiss, who are waltzing to the music. "Yeah. But I thought Weiss would be here with Neptune. Not dancing with Y/n."

"Things didn't work out with Neptune," Ruby says. "And Y/n, well, he doesn't like seeing his friends bummed out."

"Well, at least Weiss is happy," Jaune says as Y/n and Weiss finish their dance and go sit down.

Y/n Pov:

I look at Weiss. "So, are you enjoying yourself yet?" I ask.

"You know. I think I am," Weiss says. "But, I'm honestly surprised at how proficient you are at ballroom dancing, given your... extracurricular activities."

"And I'm surprised you agreed to dance with me," I say. "Given our... less than steller past." My scroll vibrates in the morse code pattern for SOS. "One second," I say before I take it out of my pocket and check what's going on. 'That's not good.' I get up and put my scroll back into my pocket. "I've got to go. If anyone asks, tell them I got a text from my grandpa saying that my grandma is in the hospital."

"What happened?" Weiss asks.

"Hopefully, nothing permanent," I say before I walk over to a dimly lit area and phase through a wall before running to the CCT tower.