64.

Chapter Sixty Four

February 25th, 1947

February 25th, 1947

     Leonard stood against the wall with his hands tucked in his pockets, waiting patiently for the group of students that were soon to make their way to him. This wasn't an official visit, so no one was aware of his presence in Hogwarts... yet. He had informed the public  he was taking a little vacation; that the latest 'scam' of the Hogwarts students had put him under too much stress, and he needed a break. He knew Albus thought it was due to the recent decision made by the Ministry... which was partially true.

     A smile graced his elderly features as he stared down the halls he once studied in. The ghosts of his past walked before him, running, smiling, laughing. His smile soon faded as he realized where he stood. A small sigh left his lips, where had it all gone wrong? He was unsure how those innocent young boys had entered this grueling battle of power and corruption.

   He leaned his head back against the wall, though he soon sat up straight when he heard the sound of the statue of the headmaster's office turn. He stood just around the corner, so it wouldn't be hard for the children to spot him when they headed for their dorms.

   He knew they had been suspended by now. That's why they had been called into the office. They would now be off to their dorms to gather their belongings before being sent home the next day. If only he could have done something. It was unfortunate that Albus had gotten to the council before him. Leonard was just in time to hear the council try to brainwash him just as they had been.

   "I don't understand how they just refuse to believe us now? Not even Dumbledore believes us anymore!" Myrtle exclaimed.

   "It is odd..." Antonin mumbled just loud enough for all of them to hear. "How is it that Dumbledore just stopped believing us?"

    "Maybe because we're Slytherins," Lestrange's sarcastic remark just about left his mouth as they turned the corner.

    The group gasped when they came face to face with Leonard. Leonard placed a finger over his lips as his other hand reached for his badge. "I'm the Minister of Magic," he whispered. He didn't miss the way they surprised expressions dissolved into bitter ones. "I just need to speak with you."

    The students exchanged distrustful glances between themselves and Leonard. Nonetheless, he was the Minister, they thought before nodding their heads.

   "Come along, children."

   With hesitant steps and weary eyes, they followed behind him like ducklings their mother. They soon arrived on the seventh floor near the tapestry. The knights were immediately alarmed, spluttering out questions.

   "What are we doing here?"

    "Is there something here?"

   "Minister, what are you doing?" They asked when they noticed him pacing in front of the wall.