62.

Chapter Sixty Two

February 23rd, 1947

Albus seemed deep in thought as the conversation came to a close, all three students squirming in their seats uncomfortably as they waited for a reaction.

"Forgive me, children, as valiant as your actions have been, this is much too serious of a matter for you to go out solving on your own" he scolded gently, his twinkling eyes still staring in the distance. They shrunk in their seats, chins tucked in shame. "Unfortunately, considering all that has happened, it is impossible to say that punishments won't be given to whoever took part."

    They nodded in understanding.

   "Now, before we inform the Ministry, I'd like you to bring the Slytherin boys so that they may give their stories as well. The more witnesses, the easier it'll be to take action against Mr. Crudith. Along with this, I need to warn you Miss Warrens." Myrtle straightened. "The Ministry will need proof that it was indeed Mr. Crudith that burned this broach. They may also look into other memories apart from that night."

     "Yes, professor."

     Fabula bit her lip nervously as she watched the boys absorb the information she had just given them. The library had never sounded so quiet before.

     Rosier was the first to say something. "You told Dumbledore?!" he hissed before turning around and throwing out his hands in exasperation. The rest of the Slytherin boys looks just as stressed; Dolohov rubbing his face, Lestrange and Malfoy shaking their heads, Avery nervously looking between Dolohov and Fabula, Nott sitting with his head in his hands, and Mulciber quirking his leg up and down with folded hands. "We don't even have evidence apart from the letter—"

   "We do have evidence. The broach I gave to you. Dumbledore said that the symbol on it is the Deathly Hallows—"

   "You've already told us that, Bulstrode," Malfoy rolled his eyes.

   Fabula gritted her teeth in turn. "If you'd just listen further, you'd know it's a symbol of Grindelwald." Silence, once more, fell over the Knights of Walpurgis.  As they processed what she had said, their shoulders sagged and sighs of relief left could be heard from them. Their efforts, fortunately, were not as futile as they were beginning to believe. At least they had some sort of explanation as to why they took the help of a mudblood.

    "So, Dumbledore needs the broach, you say?" Dolohov asked.

   "Yes, he needs to show the Ministry, and he also needs our testimonies."