41.

Chapter Forty One

December 25th, 1946

December 25th, 1946

Tom elegantly walked across the marble floors, swiftly weaving through the many families of the Sacred Twenty Eight, who politely made way for him when catching eye of him. His eyes were on the back of her head, sharp and fixated. As though she felt his eyes on her, she vaguely glanced over her shoulder as she conversed with Black, the expression on her features plain. She was very serious that night, and Tom was curious to know why. After all, she was with her best friends, at last, yet she seemed more happy when they weren't here. Tom bit back a smile.

"Would you mind if I steal Grahamm from you for a second?" Tom questioned from behind her, flashing Alphard a polite smile that told him that he couldn't mind even if he had a choice.

Confused, Alphard gazed at Cerys questioningly through his spectacles, silently asking if she would be okay with Tom on her own. She gave him a tight lipped smile and a nod. Alphard simply returned it. Tom watched, intrigued by the silent exchange between them. Usually, they wouldn't be so quiet. Something had happened and Tom was more than curious to know. He prayed that Cerys had finally come to her senses and realized what a horrible influence Black was.

"You seem very sombre tonight, no?" Tom asked once Alphard had left, eying her closely. She wore an dark green dress that she had borrowed from one of Rosier's eldest sisters, who was now married and didn't want anything from before her married life and left it in a wardrobe with many other pieces of clothing that had never actually been worn. The shine of the silk danced across the dress as it fell to Cerys' feet, just a few centimetres too long, but it did nothing to negate its grace.

"I don't see why you're so concerned." Cerys said, the puffy arms of her dress sliding down her arms as she brushed her hair out of her eyes from both sides.

"Not concerned. Curious." Tom said. "Nonetheless, I came here to tell you that I'll be at your door at midnight."

Cerys raised an eyebrow. "Thank you for telling me. I'll be sure to lock them."

Tom rolled his eyes, ignoring her words. "Rosier will be arranging a room for us." Tom expected something along the lines of 'that sounds very scandalous', but he received nothing. "I'll be holding a meeting with the rest of the knights."

Again, the wizard expected the witch to protest and say something like 'oh, for Merlin's sake, it's Christmas, Tom. Give me a break." But she simply bummed as she stared off into space, making Tom frown. He cocked an eyebrow, silently telling her he expected a response.

Cerys rolled her eyes. "Tom, please. Not tonight." She said. "And if that's all you had to say, you can leave."

The girl turned around but Tom snatched her elbow before she could. "What is wrong with you?"