8.

Chapter Eight

September 28, 1943

September 28, 1943

As the weeks passed on in Hogwarts, it seemed a rivalry began between Riddle and Grahamm. At first, it was a silent contention. Daring glances and annoyed gazes shared and eye rolls thrown here and there, along with a few banters over something that was really nothing. It was quite infuriating for Tom, and what got on his nerves more was that Grahamm seemed to enjoy annoying him.

Soon enough, though, the rivalry between them became a loud competition. In class, students could start to see the contest between the two, their hands shooting up at every given occasion, challenging each other without any words, their eyes speaking it all, and students couldn't help but watch with intrigued eyes. After all, for the first time in six years, someone was actually coming close to the high position Riddle held in Hogwarts.

There was no doubt Cerys was proving to be an excellent student, no less than Tom if not better. The mere thought made said boy seeth in irritation. He was the best, and everyone acknowledged the fact, but after the arrival of Grahamm, it seemed they were on the edge of their seats, anxiously waiting to see Cerys transcend him.

"Good afternoon, everyone!" Galatea Merrythought greeted as she entered the room. Tom brushed off his train of thoughts, fixing his composure. Currently, he, with Avery and Rosier, along with more Slytherin's of his year, stood in the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom. The desks had been piled against the walls of the classroom that were lined with windows, but light could still enter to allow students to see their surroundings. "As you can see, I've had the desks put away. Today, we shall duel."

A smirk made its way on Tom's lips. Dueling was not only a skill of his, but a favourite hobbie. Dark Arts was, quite evidently, a favoured subject of his, one he paid much attention to, more than what might be good for him.

"I shall be pairing you up with someone with equal capabilities as yours to duel with, please stand with your partner once I call your names." Merrythought continued, taking a scroll from her desk, that had been left in its place in the classroom. She began to read out the list, students shuffling here and there to make their way to their partner. "Riddle and Grahamm."

Eyes curiously followed Tom and Cerys as they neared each other, meeting in the middle. They looked much more interested in the duel to happened between the two students than themselves. It was no surprise either. Tom Riddle was known to be more than outstanding at the Dark Arts, proving it not only through his various O's he got in the subject, but with the way he participated in class as well.

"Are you ready to loose, Riddle?" Cerys spoke from beside him, careful to keep her tone hushed.

Tom rolled his eyes. "You wish, Grahamm."

"Alright, get in position everyone!" With that order, the Slytherins stand back to back with their partners, wands out.

Tom was in anticipation. He could take the situation to his advantage. Not only could he see the girl's skills, but she'd soon know her place after she'd realize how powerful of a wizard he was.