44.

Chapter Forty Four

January 8th, 1947

Cerys sighed, massaging her temples gently as she shifted in the velvet green couch. The rest of the knights had arrived, twiddling their thumbs or whistling as they waited for Tom. It was as awkward as ever between the group, the boys frequently glancing between Cerys, Lestrange and Rosier. Speaking of which, Cerys sent a sharp glare Malfoy's way. Avery nudged him, snickering something along the lines of 'the great Malfoy scared of a girl?' in his ear when he quickly looked away. Abraxas scoffed.

   Moments later, Tom trudged in, his robes brushing against the floor behind him. He sat in his usual chair, Nagini creeping out of a corner somewhere to greet her master. Cerys gazed at the snake intently, fingers gently scratching the velvet arm rest. She had been thinking quite a bit over the past days as she avoided Tom, figuring it would be better seeing as she couldn't seem to think properly with the boy around. She tried coming up with a plan, something that could, at least for now, divert Tom's thoughts elsewhere from his horcruxes. Though, nothing came to mind.

    Now as she looked at Nagini, she was reminded of the Basalisk that still slithering underneath their feet. She knew Tom would not use the Basalisk now, not after almost having the school closed. If he used the oversized snake now, there was no doubt the students would be flood out the next day.

   "My lord, how has your plan progressed?" Ambrose Nott asked, gazing at Tom in curiosity and enthusiasm.

   Riddle sent him an appreciative look. "I need to know where Slytherin's locket is, but currently, all I know is that it may be in London." Tom said.

   Dolohov's eyebrows furrowed. "Where did you learn that, my lord?"

   "That is irrelevant." Tom said.

   "When do you wish to create your next hire us, my lord?" Avery questioned.

   "I wish to create it as soon as possible."

   "Why is that?" Cerys asked, catching Tom by surprise. It wasn't like her to take interest in his plans.

   "The sooner it is done, the sooner I can bring future plans in action."

   "So, any future plans are dependent on this one?" Tom nodded. "You think your future plans will bring death upon you?"

   It wasn't a question, a statement rather, but Tom still corrected her. "They won't bring death upon me when I've prepared for it." And with that she quieted down, her eyes fixated on the arm rest for the rest of the conversation. "Anyways, I've decided that it would be best to think of more... available valuables that will come to my use."

   Cerys bit her lip as her eyes flickered to Nagini, and then Tom's ring. She didn't doubt he had already thought of the Deathly Hallow, so it would be better to put her current focus of preventing Nagini from carrying the dark wizard's soul.