e l e v e n

×××

𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝟏𝟐
Pretending

×××

The Monday morning reaches faster than she wishes. It feels like forever since she was able to lay on a comfortable bed, and Taeyeon almost doesn't want to open her eyes from the pleasant feeling her whole body is enjoying. Having to sleep on hard, cold concrete for days surely brings a lot of pain to her back.

A loud crowing from the rooster fascinates her more than the beautiful sky in the morning. The last time she witnessed noises from chickens was when she was little, with her parents that loved the village's environment more than the busy city.

Taeyeon's both corner lips move slightly upward when remembering the fond memories.

After taking a morning shower, Taeyeon ponders in front of the bedroom door. The last night's scenario still hasn't disappeared from her mind, and she is too embarrassed to face him. No one had ever seen her in just a towel, and she was honestly a bit insecure with her body. But if she doesn't get out, what should she do with her growling stomach.

Taeyeon whines in silence. Living as a hostage is really hard; everything is so intimidating.

A sudden knock on the door jolts her from her deep, unnecessary thought. Taeyeon takes a deep breath before squeaking it open.

"Come out."

Again, in today's morning too, Baekhyun demands her in his cold voice. As much as she hates it, she can't do much but to step outside and sit next to him in the living room.

"You may not understand last night, so I'll explain to you again," He speaks, eyes sharply fixing on her, "We're nothing but two people with close contact here. Not a hostage, not a kidnapper, nor an abductor. Stay put and do everything casually. One bold move from you, whether you ask for help or try to run, your brother will die."

Taeyeon gulps nervously. Having close contact with someone scary like him? Please, she would rather be friends with that kid they met last night.

Baekhyun shortly moves himself closer to her and mutters, "Try me if you don't believe. I'd be the most glad to see your brother die."

Taeyeon gasps when she hears that and immediately nods her head. The image of that horrible side of Baekhyun suddenly fills her mind, and she quickly shakes her head to wash it away.

Please no.

He moves away from her after making sure she has genuinely understood. A few minutes pass by in silence when it gets interrupted by the noises outside.

"Excuse me, are you guys awake?" A voice of somewhat from an older adult in her 60s speaks as she knocks on the door.

Instead of reaching the door by himself, he signals Taeyeon to open it and firmly reminds her again, "Act. Casually."

Taeyeon heaves a soundless breath as she walks to the door and unlocks it. As expected, an older woman appears in front of her with a wide beam, and Taeyeon can't help but to flash a smile back.

"Am I disturbing you?"

"Oh no," Taeyeon replies politely, "Not at all."

"Here." A silver food container exchanges hands as the old lady extends it to Taeyeon.

"It may not be much, but I hope it can cover my grandson's bad manners yesterday."

Taeyeon quickly catches on to what the old lady is saying and chuckles over it, "Oh, it's okay! I understand him. It must be tiring waiting for us. I'm so sorry."

"No-no, don't be. That kid needs some more lesson."

Taeyeon once again bursts into soft giggles, "Thank you again... um.."

"Granny," The old lady says, "Just call me granny."

"Thank you, granny."

The older woman, more comfortable being called granny, shows a wide smile as she looks behind Taeyeon.

"Where's your husband?"

The question catches Taeyeon off guard, "Sorry, a what?"

"Oh, he's not?" Granny asks back.

Where did you hear this dirty rumors from? ; Taeyeon wanted to ask.

Before Taeyeon could reply, a strong arm lingers around her waist, delicately hugging her stomach as he pushes himself close to her.

"Soon to be," Baekhyun assures.

He's not sure of his doing. But the action needs to be taken fast. No one should ever get suspicious of them, and he couldn't think of any other role at the moment.

Taeyeon gasps as Baekhyun tighten his grip as if signaling her to speak something.

"Y-yeah, things are still in the plan," Taeyeon places her palm on his arm, removing it a little to reduce the firmness.

Granny smiles upon seeing the two persons she thought are partners embracing one another, "Ah, good young days."

Baekhyun again fakes his smile as he says, "Yeah, a very good one."

"Please come to our house tonight. I can cook dinner for you."

"Um," Baekhyun hesitates, "We need to buy groceries and some necessities. Probably next time."

The rejection comes out faster than he expected, and he can see a glint of disappointment in her eyes.

"I see," Granny replies and pauses a few moment before she continues, "Then can I expect you on Friday? Please come. It has been a while since we have newcomers. My husband would love to meet you too."

Taeyeon just smiles awkwardly. As much as she wants to, the decision is on him. She knows he would want to avoid going out and not interact too much, but turning Granny down for the second time in a row would be very impolite.

Her head turns, facing Baekhyun, and leans close to him, "Please accept it. She looks very hopeful."

Baekhyun's head slightly moves backward in response to her sudden motion and emits a slow sigh.

"Yes, sure. We'll come."

A wide beam sparks back on her face as Granny bids a short goodbye, "Then I'll see you, lovebirds."

Seeing Granny already making her way home, Baekhyun pulls Taeyeon inside, closes the door, and grabs her wrist.

The swift action puts Taeyeon under a short breath as his face is only one inch away from hers.

"That's our relationship now, and it won't change until the plan ends. Do you understand?" He warns. Although the thought of being her boyfriend cringes him, Baekhyun has no choice, and he has accidentally acted like one in front of a stranger.

"Y-yes," Taeyeon replies and breathes a sigh as he lets her go.

But a couple soon to be married? Isn't that scenario too much? Who's going to write the script?

×××

- To be continued. -