o n e

×××

𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝟐
너와 나의 거리 selene 6.23

×××

Two years have passed since the darkest tragedy occurred. Until now, Baekhyun still clearly sees those scenes in his dream every night. Each day he walks through, none of them is roofed by a clear sky.

He would visit their secret place every day without a miss. The only space that would bring him a sincere smile that he no longer shows to others. The world around him has really turned cold.

He can never place himself in the same condition as before. 

"Baekhyun," someone calls his name. As he turns, his team leader is leaning back against the wall with a file of papers in his hands, immediately catching Baekhyun's attention.

"Ara's case report?"

"Hmm," Sungjin, the team's leader, casually replies as he places it on Baekhyun's table and sits beside him.

Baekhyun quickly flips the report. Deep down, he prays for a new update, and anything is fine as long as he can see the progress. For the past twelve months, they couldn't trace any step forward toward the murderer.

But again, the only thing that welcomes him is a disappointment.

"Apparently," Sungjin clears out his words, carefully judging Baekhyun's expression. His late fiance's case can be really sensitive for him, and he understands it, "They said it's time to close this case."

Baekhyun's posture suddenly stiffens as his eyebrows draw together, looking at Sungjin with a deeply confused gaze, "What do you mean?"

"It has been two years..." Sungjin says with a profound pity in his voice.

Losing someone you dearly appreciate is the worst scenario that could happen in someone's life. Sungjin wishes to catch those bastards with his bare hands for his brother-like figure, but he has no power when the higher authority wants to cease the case.

"We are not working hard enough, and now you're saying we should stop?" Baekhyun unknowingly raises his voice, drawing the attention of other officers. 

But Sungjin remains calm. He understands it even if Baekhyun becomes violent, "The other team will handle this well, Baekhyun. You know this case is related to the Red Diamond, right?"

Red Diamond.

The piece of secret that is still unfolds. Why are they related, what does it has to do with Ara, and who possess that jewelry now — all of it has been running through Baekhyun's mind for the past two years.

He shakes his head frustratingly as he shuts his eyes tightly. Baekhyun almost let out the tears he has been trying to hold on.

"So what? Red Diamond is bigger than murder case now?"

"No," Sungjin tries to calm Baekhyun down, "But they have broader possibilities of catching those bastards than us. We can always receive updates from them, and I can even transfer you to their team if you want. Ara's case is too complicated to be solved, we don't have enough proofs."

Just like that, someone's death is being forgotten.

Baekhyun sits back on his chair. Not because he finally settles down, but because of the internal dialogues that keeps on lingering in his head. He doesn't want to make any reckless decision just because of his upset heart, but he thinks he wouldn't regret it.

"I'll quit."

Calls him unprofessional or whatever shit you want to address him, but Baekhyun has made up his mind. It's absurd for him to stay. Baekhyun quickly takes off his ID card.

"What?!" Sungjin says, staring at Baekhyun with wide eyes, "You can't simply do that just because of this."

"Just because of this?" Baekhyun quotes, "That 'this' is about my fiance."

Sungjin fetches a deep sigh, knowing he has uttered the wrong sentence, "I'm sorry. But Baekhyun, don't let emotions drive your decision. I know what you're going to do as soon as you step out. It's too dangerous."

"Doesn't matter," Baekhyun says, "This emotion will forever convince me."

×××

With nothing covering his head, Baekhyun walks down the street under the dull skies and steady rain, letting every drop fall along with his sorrow. Being an officer has always been his dream, and he used to work really hard to get into the team. 

But once he moves forward, no one can turn him back. 

No matter how much Sungjin tries to make him stay, Baekhyun stays firm with his decision. He won't budge, although being an officer, especially during the investigation, has become his passion since middle school.

It's not like he has anyone left in his life for him to impressed.

Not even a family or his other half. All of them were lent to him in such a brief moment, hanging him with short happiness that everyone thinks would last forever, but it's not. 

Every time he recalls those memories, only pain and misery welcomes him. It hurts to know that those moments won't happen again, and the only he can do is remember them over and over again.

Unknowingly, Baekhyun's pondering steps bring him to the memorial cemetery that places Ara.

'In the end, it's still her...'

Baekhyun slowly walks toward a grave that has a familiar name on its tombstone. He slightly smiles at the bloomed daffodils that he planted.

Her favorite flowers.

"Hey, Ara," Baekhyun slowly murmured. 

It is never strange for him to talk to his deceased loved ones at their graves. For him, it's comforting. He wouldn't get any reply, but letting out his emotion is already enough. It may be weird for some people, but for someone like Baekhyun, it's the only way of communication.

"I quit my job today," says Baekhyun before he quickly continues, "I know you will be mad, but it's for the best."

He chuckles a bit, knowing how Ara would react when she hears his words, "It's tiring anyway."

Silence follows him afterward. He sighs, knowing that he can't lie to her.

"Fine, it's not tiring," Baekhyun admits, "You know how much I love the job. I was the happiest when it came to work, and it'd annoy my colleagues every time. But it's ridiculous how they would give up so quickly over somebody's death."

The rain slowly stops as the cold wind gently brushes against his skin as if it comforting him.

"I hate the fact that the world stays unfair to you even though you're no longer walking on it."

Baekhyun clenches his fist, try to calm himself down. He then brings his left knee down to the ground and gently places his palm on top of the headstone.

"I will catch them with my bare hands and figure out all the reasons behind everything that has happened. I'll do whatever it takes."

He pauses and takes a deep breath.

"Including sacrificing my life."

×××

- To be continued. -