Showmance

Juniper found herself zoning out as the Glee Club ran through a new number they were learning.

"Energy, guys," said Mr. Schue. "It's disco. Good with the hands. John Travolta hands. We're freaking out. Let's go. And up and out, you go down and... good guys."

Rachel did a kick, almost hitting Mercedes in the face.

"Woah, woah. Hell to the nah," she said. "First of all, you try to bust my face again, and I will cut you."

Rachel scoffed and crossed her arms, rolling her eyes.

"And also, this song is terrible," said Mercedes, turning to Mr. Schue.

"It's not the song," said Mr. Schue. "You guys just need to get into it."

"No, it's the song," said Juniper.

"Yeah, it's really gay," agreed Kurt.

"We need modern music, Mr. Schue," said Artie.

"I'm sorry, guys. We don't have time to discuss this. We're doing this song this Friday at the pep assembly."

"In front of the whole school?" asked Tina, concern in her voice.

"Exactly," said Mr. Schue.

"They're gonna throw fruit at us," said Kurt. "And I just had a facial."

"I'll press charges if that happens," said Rachel.

"Guys," said Mr. Schue. "I can't express how important this assembly is. We need recruits. There are seven of you. We need twelve to qualify for regionals. We have no choice, or the club is over. I know you guys don't like this song, but we took nationals back in '93 with Freak Out. It's a crowd pleaser. Trust me. From the top."

"Key word: '93," Juniper whispered to Tina, who nodded in agreement.

****

Juniper quietly opened the door of her foster home. She was out way past curfew. If she's lucky, her foster mom will be drunk out of her mind and won't notice her sneaking back in. She slowly tip-toed to the stairs.

"Hold it right there, missy."

Busted.

Juniper huffed and turned around to face Ms. Stewart, her foster mom.

"Wanna explain why you were out so late?" asked Ms. Stewart, stepping closer to the shorter girl. "You know my rules."

"I was just out with my gang friends," the Latina said sarcastically, and Ms. Stewart raised a brow. "Yeah, we robbed a liquor store and got drunk outside of a Toys R Us while smoking cigarettes."

"Do you think the world wants a smart-mouth little girl?"

"Do you think I give a shit what the world wants?" countered Juniper, crossing her arms.

"Do not use that tone with me, missy," she said, pointing a finger at the brunette.

"Or what?" scoffed Juniper, raising a brow. "You gonna hit me? That's child abuse and I'll have the cops here quicker than you can down an entire bottle of vodka, you washed up, drunk, sad excuse of a woman."

"That's it, go to your room!" snapped Ms. Stewart. "And no dinner for a week!"

"I should be thanking you, really," said Juniper sarcastically as she started walking up the stairs. "I've been meaning to lose a few pounds."

****

"Hey, do either of you have gum?" asked Juniper as she sat down next to Tina and Artie on the bleachers in the gym.

Before either of them could respond, Rachel hit a gavel, getting everyone's attention.

"I call this meeting of Glee Club in session," she said.

"Mr. Schuester isn't here," said Artie.

"He isn't coming. I paid a freshman to ask him for help with irregular verbs."

"I think that freshman would have better luck asking a dog," scoffed Juniper, getting a chuckle out of Artie and the goth.

"I'm so sick of hearing you squawk, Eva Peron," groaned Mercedes, referring to Rachel.

"Let her talk," said Finn, getting a smile from Rachel.

"I have another idea for the assembly," said Rachel.

"Can I once again stress my most strenuous objections to this attempted social suicide?" asked Artie.

"Yeah," agreed Juniper. "Everyone at this school hates us. This is gonna turn into some Glee Club Hunger Games and they'll kill us all."

"They're not gonna kill us," said Rachel, a smirk forming on her face. "We're gonna give them what they want."

"Blood?" asked Kurt.

"Better. Sex."

****

Juniper was in the bathroom getting ready for the assembly. She was fixing her hair when a raven haired cheerleader entered the bathroom, scoffing when she saw Juniper's costume.

"I didn't know smurfs were allowed to go to school here," she said, rolling her eyes.

"And I didn't know Satan was allowed out of hell," replied Juniper.

"Don't talk to me like that," said the cheerleader, crossing her arms.

"I think I just did."

"Do you know who I am? I will make your life hell if you rub me the wrong way."

"Obviously I know who you are, Santana," scoffed Juniper, rolling her eyes. "And I'm not afraid of you."

"You should be."

The door to the bathroom swung open and Rachel rushed in, grabbing Juniper's arm.

"It's about to start, come on!" she said and pulled the tiny Latina out of the bathroom.

As they hurried down the hall to the gym, Juniper couldn't stop thinking about the Latina she'd just met. Sure, she's seen her around in the halls before, but she'd never even acknowledged her existence before today. She couldn't help but hope that she'd get to talk to her again - even if it was just to push her buttons.

Rachel and Juniper got to the gym and took their places as the curtain opened.

****

"Juniper, you're n-not going t-t-to believe who just j-joined Glee C-club," said Tina as she and Artie rushed into the choir room.

"Who?" asked Juniper, looking up from the book she was reading.

"The Unholy Trinity," said Artie.

"The Unholy what?"

"The U-unholy Trinity," said Tina, out of breath from running to the choir room.

"Sorry, I don't know what that is," said Juniper, furrowing her brows.

"They're the most popular girls at McKinley," said Artie. "Quinn Fabray. Brittany Pierce. And Santana Lopez."

Santana Lopez. The name echoed in Juniper's ears as the group of cheerleaders walked into the room. She looked over to where the Latina had just sat down. They made eye contact and Santana smirked, giving Juniper a small wave. This could either be a blessing in disguise or a disaster waiting to happen.