Passelmouth and adopting a child

Merlin was exhausted. Not just because of the last few days being his worst with Arthur still not waking up. Not that he thought he would wake up after this condemned sword almost killed him. It was just a surprise that Merlin managed to somehow be fast enough there, but it had been way too close. Not to mention that he lost almost all of his friends because of Morgana and Mordred. Both that he thought might be able to change and maybe be talked out of this, but he knew better now.

At least Arthur knew now of his magic, but the cost was him almost dying and almost being unforgiven. His heart ached and he wished he wouldn't have pushed those who cared about him away. But now it was too late for Gwaine and he could even now see the pain in Percy's eyes when he told him and Gwen of his best friend's death.

Either way, this all was heavy weighting him down and he wished he could have changed this all. Wished that his friends would not have suffered through his mistakes. He felt responsible for this all. Merlin knew that he was never going to be able to bring anyone back, it would cost way too much. Even when he wanted to, the risk of someone else that he cares about getting chosen was making him choose against it.

Not everything was really bad...

"Merlin can I talk to you." Gwen softly called out and he pursed his lips into a thin line, thinking that she might have another bad news.

"Please tell me it's something good for once." He softly replied, dreading what Gwen might tell him and the Queen gave a soft smile at this. Making him hopeful that it was going to be good news. 

"It's something really good and I wanted to ask you something." There was this pause and he pressed his lips together fearing what his friend might tell him now.

"I am pregnant and wanted to ask you to be the one to help me birth them."

His expression stared at Gwen not having expected this and wondering why him. He messed up badly and even though the Queen wanted him to be the court Warlock he declined it many times before. As Merlin thought he was undeserving of this.

"Congratulations, I am happy for you, but I do-don't know, Gwen. Gaius will be a better person for this than myself." He was genuinely happy for his friend, that she would have something from Arthur. Merlin was sure that the child would be like the prat a troublemaker and yet he felt somber knowing that the King might never see the child grow up.

There was an eyebrow raise coming from Gaius who was clearly listening into their conversation and making him huff out.

"Listen Merlin you're not going to mess this up and you can just use your-"

"Like I did with Arthur?!" He burst out as he tried to avoid using magic since then. There was no point in using it really as it brought nothing but bad luck for him.

The two people in the room gave him a knowing look, which caused him to flinch. He knew that he tried his best, or at least that was what others constantly told him. But he had not done enough. People died and Arthur was still unconscious and it looked almost as if the man never would wake up.

"Merlin." Gwen softly called out and he swallowed shaking his head and rushing out of the room unable to handle this.

.

.

.

How long he continued running, was something that Merlin lost count of. It was too much for him to handle. The fact that Gwen thought he was the right choice in helping with the birth was something that he was not capable of. What if he ends up making a massive mistake and it could kill both Gwen and the child or what if it could cause either one of them to get killed?

Merlin could not handle anyone dying.

At some point, he stopped in his tracks breathing heavily and listening into the woods.

"Wah!" A loud wailing sound was heard going through the woods.

A thing that made him instantly rush towards the sound, not wanting to have a child being harmed by anyone. At least it sounded that way and so the closer he got the more he heard another voice. One that sounded different. It was as if this person was trying to talk snakey-ish.