𝐃𝗼𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐫𝗼𝐭𝐞𝐠𝐞

As time goes by and Sukia's training with Cayde-6 continues on, her unruly Light became disciplined and manageable. It was still difficult to contain, but it was easy to direct the overpowering current. In other words, she was starting to gain control. Sukia's training had only been going for a week and yet she's made more progress that I imagined. Between his teachings and nightly celebrations at the saloon, the two Hunters' bond had grown tighter.

Which left me stunned when Cayde had noticeably become more distant from Sukia, and she had noticed too.

The two Hunters were on Nessus once again during another training session. Instead of floating at my female Guardian's side like I normally do, I had dissolved into the air so that I wouldn't get in her way and only spoke over comms when needed. It was nighttime on this planet now though the teal sky here didn't get very dark, not nearly as dark as the sky back on Earth. Cayde had chosen this time so that Sukia could tell the power she's letting out in her grenades by how bright the Solar burns in each blast.

"Stop flinging it like it's a baseball, Sooks, that's why it keeps exploding before it even touches your target!" Cayde-6 lectures her from where he stood leaned against a tree with his arms crossed, the Exo seemed to have less patience with the woman's headstrong ways recently.

Sukia turned around to face him with a frustrated retort. "What? If I don't then it explodes too soon either way!"

Cayde sighed and shook his head with a hand to his face. "Ah, Suki-Sooks..." He walked over and held up her hand before putting a finger to her palm. "Concentrate your Solar Light here. The denser, the farther. It'll have a bigger blast radius too. Just be careful where you throw that thing, alright?" When Cayde looked from Sukia's hand to her face, he realized how close he was to her. His chest had pressed against her side and his face only inches from hers. The male Hunter quickly took a step backwards, even almost tripping in his flustered state as he cleared his voice then gestured to the burnt blackened ground yards in front of them. "Again."

Sukia, with her- what Cayde would call- hypersensitive instincts, noticed how Cayde briefly lost his cool. The brunette watched him for a moment and then looked down at her hand before slowly looking at the blue Exo on the corner of her eye. "...Ya mind showing me that again?"

Cayde this time noticeably stiffened up, knowing fully well what Sukia was up to. He stared at her for a few seconds before giving in to his desire and he walked back over to the petite woman before gently clasping her hand. Despite his gentleness with her, she however handled him more roughly as she placed a hand upon his chest and pushed him back against the tree. It earned a startled gasp out of the Exo and his body almost seemed like it was about to melt beneath her touch as her lips pressed against his metal neck and her hand slid down his chest to his abdomen. Right as Sukia was lifting up onto her toes to kiss his metal lips, Cayde quickly covered her mouth with a hand.

"Slow down there, tiger. I think you got the wrong idea.." Cayde's voice was a little panted from the bolt of excitement but he somehow was still able to keep in control of himself even as Sukia stared up at him with lust in her eyes. But his voice turned into a softer tone as he removed his hand from her mouth and brushed against her cheek. "I'm not looking for a one night stand. I... really care about you, Sooks."

Sukia stared up at him for a second before the light left her eyes and they went wide with alarm before she jerked herself out of his grasp and triple jumped away from him quickly.

Cayde looked stunned over Sukia's sudden reaction. "Sukia-!" Before he could protest, she turned her back to him and triple jumped again, jumping onto a towering tree root and disappearing into the scarlet undergrowth. Cayde's jaw clutched tightly as he punched the tree behind himself. "Damn it..."