favorite crime

FINALLY we get to this part of the story. i underestimated how long this fic was going to be and now im fucked with how long its actually going to take to edit.

The next part of the story is inspired by Lethe by MADR1D1SMO in ao3, it's a jegulus fanfic which I seriously adore.

Days spent outside became more bearable considering snow has finally melded and Evelyn was free to walk outside without dying of frostbite. Most of the time Regulus wasn't even at the cabin; always rushing around with Barty and Evan, wearing those stupid masks which she now learned each of the designs meant something different.

She completely hated with her whole heart how Barty's one meant torturing. Evan was basically a sniper, she doesn't even want to ask.

Regulus. That's a different story. Favored lieutenant, that is what she gathered. It made her feel sick to the point she couldn't even look at herself in the mirror knowing she let herself have sex with Voldemort's replacement.

The main reason why she spent so much time outside was because she couldn't bare to be around them anymore. What would James think? Her parents? Oliver her old muggle-born friend from school? It was sickening. And sure, maybe they were trying to do something good by destroying Voldemort's soul, but that doesn't take away their actions and part taken in the war because they willingly think they are superior just because they come from a line of inbreeding families.

That's repulsive.

She came back one day late in the afternoon. Their voices strong enough she could hear them even as she walked up the stairs of the front porch. Evelyn leaned against the wall of the living room, trying to listen better what they were arguing, coming empty handed about what they could possibly be talking about.

"I told you; I can't do this again!" Hissed Regulus.

"Regulus this is dangerous, you shouldn't have come back for her! What were you thinking!?"

"What was I thinking!? That fucking- stupid Order of whatever was going to use her as bait. So excuse me from trying to save her for just being a pa-"

"You're getting too attached once a-"

In that single second Evelyn made eye contact with Barty, who quickly shut Evan by speaking over him. "Oh- he-y Potter," He casually leaned on the wall, looking over at her like nothing happened, like he did not stutter nervously.

Evelyn stared between the three guys trying to make sense of the situation. "What's going on?"

"Nothing." Quickly replied Regulus.

"Why are they here?" she questioned looking over Barty and Evan, feeling a sense of dread flow in her body.

"They will help us with the horcrux." Regulus was occluding as he spoke, face blank of emotion or thoughts. Evan by his side looking like he was about to throw up, face scrunched up in displeasure.

She didn't ask why. Or since when they knew. Or if they have been helping this whole time. There is no point in wondering any more. Evelyn admits she gave up long ago trying to make sense of situations.

Evelyn followed them out of the house deep into the woods, trying to keep up with their long strides was a real struggle considering how tall Evan and Barty both were. They spoke about fountains and snakes, their voices flowing in and out of her ears but not grasping what they meant. Occasionally, Regulus would turn to look behind him to make sure she was still there, his eyes constantly dropping with longing right before turning back to the front.

They arrived to a place where there were no trees. Her eyes caught sight of a burned spot in the middle of the grass, "I destroyed the diary here." Regulus answered her without even asking the question.