Always On My Mind 🤍

You looked at the calendar and felt the memories hit you like a train.

August 16, 1987.

Ten years. It's been ten years since Elvis died and it killed you every time knowing that he'd never come back. You'd never hear his laugh in the kitchen whenever your child would say something ridiculous. His arm would never be around you anymore as you slept. His lips wouldn't be on yours every moment of the day.

Melody, the daughter that you and your late husband shared came into your bedroom with tears in her eyes and climbed onto the bed with you.

"Is it today mommy?" the child asked.

You felt your own tears wet your cheeks. "Yes honey, it's today."

The two of you silently wept in each other's arms until Melody began to speak.

"Are you afraid you'll grow old and forget him mommy?"

Your heart felt like it cracked in two as you stared down at your daughter who resembled her father so much.

"No baby. Wanna know why?"

The child nodded.

"Because your daddy will always be on my mind. There's no forgetting him."

Your daughter wrapped you in a tight hug mumbling a quiet "i love you" before getting off your lap.

"I'm gonna get myself something to eat okay?"

A small smile appeared on your face. "Alright Mel, I'll be down in a bit."

"You're gonna be okay mom?"

You nodded. "Yeah, yeah go on, I'll be down."

She left the room and shut the door and that's when you broke down and sobbed.

Your best friend, your partner, your husband, gone.

Reaching for the picture that was on the nightstand, you looked at the it, tears falling. It was the day of your wedding to Elvis and that was one of the happiest days of your life. In the picture, your hand was outstretched showing off your ring and Elvis was kissing your cheek. The smile on your face was big and the atmosphere of that day was warm and exciting.

With a trembling sigh, you set the photo down and lifted your hand to admire your wedding ring. The pear shaped diamond sparkled and you felt fresh tears falling.

2022

You set down the infamous wedding photo as the interviewer handed you tissues. With a small "thank you" you dabbed at your face.

The set was silent with the exception of your sniffling.

"You'll never forget him huh?" the interviewer asked, finding a way to break the silence.

With a sad laugh, you shook your head.

"Nope." you answered glancing down at your wedding ring. "He's always on my mind."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

just a short chapter for now, still working on requests and other chapters.

thought of this in church 🫠