[ 34 ] An Angel of a Boy

CHAPTER THIRTY- FOUR
an angel of a boy

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

EVONY PUT PAST the fact the new girl didn't want to talk to her for several reasons, the most important one being it would distract the more important matters at hand.

Thomas had come back down from the treehouse about thirty minutes after originally going up. In his hand he carried two vials of blue liquid, bolder letters printed upon the side of the glass. She wasn't in the least surprised when it read WICKED. She was expecting that now, as it seemed all of their problems were somehow connected to that single word.

She studied Alby as he laid on one of the beds in the med hut. His breathing intensified, and his limbs were slightly thrashing back and forth from the excruciating pain. Clint and Jeff were both watching him with a close eye, apparently he had been mumbling in his sleep and they didn't want him to wake up and freak out.

On her left was Newt. He was running his fingers along his jaw carefully. "We don't even know what this stuff is," he pointed, "we don't know who sent it. Or why it came up here with you. For all we know, this thing could kill him."

On her other side was Thomas. His hands were on his hips, eyes slightly narrowed. "He's already dying. Look at him. How could this possibly make it any worse?"

"He has a point, Newt," Evony agreed, "I think it's worth a try."

Her eyes fell back over to Thomas, which in the process led her to making eye contact with the new girl. A piece of her raven hair had fallen in front of her face; Evony watched as she brushed it behind her ear.

She was standing closer to Thomas than anyone else in the room, but that made enough sense considering she didn't know anyone else yet.

Evony waved her fingers slightly, mouthing a 'hey' in hopes of receiving a greeting back. The girl scrunched her eyebrows together, stole a glance at Thomas, then gave a tight-lipped smile back.

Progress.

She could work with that.

Alby grunted.

"All right," Newt spoke, bringing her back to their current task, "Do it."

He handed off the serum to Thomas and the boy advanced to the table. At once Alby began to stir from his spot.

His eyes snapped open, meeting Thomas'. In one swift motion the leader reached forward and grabbed him at the throat, pulling him downwards.

"You shouldn't be here!" he cried, "you shouldn't be here!"

Newt and Evony rushed to help. They grabbed at Albys hands. Pulled against the force of his strength.

"Get the syringe!"

Her eyes scrambled to find where it had been tossed to the floor. She spotted it a few feet away from her, sitting next to the foot of the bed. Before she was even able to make a move towards it, another hand had already grabbed it and brought it up to view.

In a matter of seconds the needle was brought down into Albys chest.

All done by the new girl.

Once he was free, Thomas backed away quickly, placing a hand over his chest as if his breath had been taken out from him. She saw him skim the lines of his neck, and she already could tell what he was thinking.

"I guess that worked," she sighed.

Newt stepped forward, one finger pointing down at the bed, "Okay, from now on... someone stays here and watches him around the clock."