Before The Maze [ 10 ]

A Couple Months Ago

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

"AVA, WE HAVE a problem," Janson emerged into Doctor Paige's office steaming with anger and his fists clenched tightly by his sides. So many things were going wrong recently, and his master plan was starting to break down. Somehow, every time Evony got brought up, another element in the plan shattered, leaving him to pick up the disassembled pieces.

It wasn't supposed to be this hard to send a couple of kids into a maze. It should definitely not have been so hard to keep four kids separate on the other side of the building, but apparently it was. All because, Thomas, just had to go and make a connection with one of the kids they were planning to use as a test subject.

Honestly it was all quite hilarious to Janson. A couple months ago Thomas had come and begged him to not put the girl through the maze trials, and instead, have her stay with him and Teresa. It was stupid, really, because the next day, after Janson had said no, Teresa appeared in his office will a predictiment on how to get her partner to focus on his studies more. Her not so compelling argument sounded exactly as if the brown haired boy had been standing in front of him, and that's when he knew that Thomas had probably convinced her to ask him.

However, this time he didn't reply with a definite no, even though there was no way that he wasn't going to let Evony stay behind and disrupt his plan even more. So the past year he has been faking to Thomas that his 'friend' would be safe and stay at WCKD with him. It was quite funny for him to watch the boy fall so easily into the lie. Usually he had some major trust issues, questioning every little thing they did or gave him to do, but for some reason when it involved this certain girl's safety, he would believe anything if it meant she got to stay safe.

Doctor Paige stood from her seat at her desk, a computer in her arm where she had been scrolling through past files. "I believe we are both aware of the problem, Janson."

He nodded sharply, "Thomas?"

"Thomas." She confirmed. "It's obvious that his head has been somewhere else the past few months."

Janson walked over so he could examine the computer along with his coworker. Instantly he noticed the files to be the performance records that got logged every quarter.

"I've been scrolling through these all night and I think I've put the missing pieces together. '' Ava spoke assertively. He just nodded to imply for her to continue. "We all know that Evony had her memory erased at five correct?"

His eyebrows furrowed, wondering where she was going to go with this.

"It seems that from the age of six to just after he turned ten, Thomas was very concentrated on his studies-he performed at least three times more efficiently then than he did at ages eleven to now." She explained.

Janson instantly understood where she was going with this. "You think he saw Evony again sometime at the age of ten?"

"Exactly, and I think that she's messing with his capability to focus."

His jaw clenched at the newly found information. What she was saying lined up perfectly to the pictures he had of the two kids running around the halls of WCKD. All of these years, how could he have been so stupid.

Then, a wicked idea bubbled up from the most corrupt depths of his mind. "Well then, I already know the solution. We separate them. If erasing her memory made him focus once then why shouldn't it work again?