Before The Maze [ 5 ]

February 2, 2028
10 years old

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

IT WAS THREE whole months before Evony saw Thomas again. In that time she had continued on with her schoolwork. Learning all different types of math, how grammar works, and even some new classes about the flare had taken up most of her time. When she wasn't, she found herself hyper fixating on a plan to see the boy. It seemed to take up most of her thoughts, and she wasn't sure why. Before, she would daydream about her life outside of WCKD. In these fantasies she was married to the love of her life, lived in a mansion, and owned several dogs. It was everything she didn't have. And never would.

These thoughts soon changed from scenarios about her perfect life, too imagining herself laying with Thomas under the stars. The thoughts then became spoken words, which turned into rants that she would tell her friends.

Do you know when Thomas and Teresa are going to meet up with us again? She would ask anybody who listened. Unfortunately most of the time it ended up being Minho, who would dismiss her question with a wave of the hand and tell her that they said they would come when they can.

She didn't need to ask to know which of the two said that.

On the other side of the floor, was Thomas, who just like the girl could not get the other out of his head. He was still in shock from seeing her, which did not bode well on his studies. After that night up on the rooftop, the doctors had started asking him what was wrong, as he either had a weary expression or a giddy smile plastered on his face while they were trying to teach him. Even Teresa had noticed a change in the way he acted, it was like his mind was somewhere else anytime someone tried to speak to him.

When are we going to go see Minho and his friends again? He'd ask her over and over. In fact, it became so repetitive that the raven haired girl would shut him down by the time he had spoken the first two words.

You mean when are you going to be able to see that girl again. She shot back one time, Thomas had not missed the snarky tone to her voice.

Evony. He'd affirmed, Her name is Evony

It didn't matter though, because she had already walked away down the hallway to the lab. At that moment he decided that he didn't care if she didn't want to see the other kids again. He wanted to surround himself with other people that werent adults, he wanted to laugh at jokes that the kids told as they chugged down their punch. But most of all, he wanted to see her. Whether that meant he got a glimpse or a long stare, he didn't care. He just wanted to be in her presence again.

So that was it. He was going to see her.

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Evony woke to the sound of a soft knock at the door. All of her friends had already gone to sleep, leaving her in the common room to drown to her blissful thoughts. Countless ideas swarmed her brain, anxiety working its way into the mix the longer she stayed on one topic. After finishing her thoroughly detailed plan of sneaking out in the middle of the night, to slip into Thomas's room, her brain finally gave out and she crashed.

Usually she was a deep sleeper, at least that's what her friends told her. However when she jolted awake at the sound of fist on metal, she suspected that she hadn't been in a very deep sleep. Wiping her eyes she walked towards the door, wondering what one of the doctors wanted at this hour. To be fair she didn't exactly know what time it was, she just figured it was late because everyone else went to bed. Ratman always said that little kids had to go to bed before ten.