[ 33 ] We're the Same, Gally

Start from the beginning

"You're right, we've known him for half a year. Let's go through his resume since then." he coughed. "One: he somehow saved you from the maze on his first week. Not only did he break a rule, he risked his life for a girl he barely knew."

"You're counter arguing your point," she claimed.

Aaron bared his teeth. "Two: five gladers fall dead in a matter of weeks and Tom-boy here is the only one who manages to survive? Seems like a pretty nice coincidence if you ask me."

Evony didn't have any words for that. If she told Aaron she had dreamt about him hanging himself, and that had been the reason she had been able to save him, he would think she's crazy.

Thankfully Newt was ready to step in. "You're right," He professed. She paused in wonder of where he was going with this. "Thomas broke the rules and escaped death. One night in the pit, and no food."

"Come on, Newt!" Gally shouted, "One night in the pit? Do you think that's going to stop him from causing havoc? We should revoke his position as runner is what we should do."

"No."

The group of Gladers turned to Minho, who had only now spoken a word during the meeting.

"Thomas is an asset. If we get rid of him now we'll stand no chance of finding a way out."

"That's the problem!" Gally snapped back, "Why are we so urgent to change everything all of a sudden? We don't have a clue what's out there and you want to hop-skip our way out of the maze like little butterflies."

"Butterflies don't do either," Minho pointed out, "Stop saying jack-shit if you want any of us to believe you."

A muscle in Gallys jaw twitched. "I have a preposition." He brought forward Aaron and patted him on the shoulder. "Thomas can still be a runner if Aaron gets to join him as his partner. That way he can make sure there are no mishaps along the way. All in favor raise their hands."

A few keepers held their hands in the air; Evony couldn't help feeling as if she was being betrayed. They had the right to their own opinion, she reminded herself, though it was hard to keep that clear when they were going against Thomas. The preposition made no sense productivity wise. What did Aaron have to contribute that was better than what the other runners had?

With each hand going up she felt herself losing hope. It was her, Newt, Minho, and Frypan against the rest of the keepers-they would be outnumbered no matter what.

Gally smiled smugly, "In that case it's settled." He clapped Aaron on the back, "He starts tomorrow and Thomas...Thomas gets away with his klunk excuse of a punishment."

Evony kept her mouth shut to keep any harsh comments from spilling out. She could see the disbelief on Thomas' face-the utter shock of his new running partner arrangements. Newt placed a hand on his shoulder and muttered a warning in his ear. She was sure it was a command to stay calm, as the brunet definitely needed the reminder.

The three of them headed out after that, Minho staying behind to quip a few more comments about the unfairness of the situation. He joined them shortly after that, after picking up Max from one of the hammocks. Newt said he wanted to go check on Alby, so the four of them left together for the map room.

Evony couldn't stop thinking about how Gally had acted back there. It was unusual...even for him.

Him and Aaron weren't friends. They never had been. They hated each other just as much as she resented Aaron herself. It didn't make sense why he was all of a sudden standing up for the boy. Maybe they had come to an agreement on something?-became forced allies to reach a goal.