[ 30 ] Gone, Gone, Gone

Start from the beginning

"There's only five more minutes," Thomas pointed out, quickly checking his watch.

"I know," she deadpanned, trying to put on a sarcastic front but failing with the crack in her voice. The tension in the Glade had grown substantially over the past hour; each of them eagerly waiting for Minho and Albys return.

When she couldn't take the nerves anymore she pushed the boy off her legs. Standing up, she took a stance next to Newt, who was also clearly in distress from the current circumstances. Thomas followed shortly behind her, him followed by Max and Max followed by Chuck.

They should be back by now," Newt said, stating the obvious. His arms crossed over his chest, his eyes set firmly on the opening of the North entrance.

Thomas looked between the four of them, "What do we do if they don't?"

Evony bit down on her nail.

Max clenched his jaw, "They're gonna make it."

"But-"

He glared at the brunet, "They're gonna make it."

Suddenly her legs started to move; they carried her towards the entrance. She could hear the sounds of stampeding feet following behind her and sense the boys at her shoulders. They looked out into the maze, eyes searching for the blur of bodies. Evony didn't know why they wouldn't be back by now-they should be back by now-she was worried that an incident had taken place.

Thomas was on her right, while Gally was on her left. She could see the tension in both of their faces-more the older boy-at the fear of losing two people dear to them.

"Come on, guys, can't we send someone after them?"

"That's against the rules," Newt asserted, though she knew he wished for another fate, "Either they make it back or they don't. You know that, Tommy."

"We can't risk losing anyone else," Evony added, her voice distraught. As much as she tried to deny it her eyes kept wandering over to the entrance, hoping to see her friends emerging into the Glade. She checked her watch-there was only three minutes left now before the walls closed.

Time passed by; there were two minutes left.

One minute.

At the thirty second mark the doors began to rumble. Her heart dropped at the familiar noise, knowing exactly what it was indicating was about to happen.

"There!" Thomas yelled, making her snap her head up at the loud shout. Then she saw the two figures making their way through the maze, one on the others came back as he carried him along.

Minho and Alby.

"Wait, something's wrong," Newt exclaimed, his eyes growing wider with the statement. Though Evony didn't need his clarification to know what had happened. Alby was hurt, and Minho didn't seem to have enough strength in him to carry them both back to safety in time.

The walls tumbled again, shaking the ground that the Gladers stood on. The walls seemed to close faster, but time remained still. Everything felt so slow: the realization, the dread, her heart rate.

"Come on, Minho, you can do it!"

"They're not gonna make it.." Evony muttered, only loud enough for her to hear.