𝟙𝟜

𝒟𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓂 𝒫𝒪𝒱

I watch him bustle to the counter, apologizing to the small line of customers left waiting in front of the register because of his absence. They order and George sets out to make their drinks as fast as possible to make up for their wait. A few lattes and a black decaf coffee later, he comes back as I turn off the running water, shaking it off my hand.

He looks at me expectantly, gesturing toward the barstool outside the employee space. I surprise myself and comply, pushing through the swinging wood of the gate and plopping down on the stool with a roll of my eyes.

"George–relax." He ignores me and grabs a clean navy towel, soaking it in cool water as he eyes my wrist. I extend it, watching him intently as his fingers wrap the soft towel over the small burn. "Seriously...it's not a big deal."

His eyebrows lay smoothened above his eyes, mouth drawn into an unimpressed scowl. "I just don't want to get fired."

Right. I suppress a smile at his focus and flinch violently, pain written convincingly across my face. "Oh shoot! Sorry, sorry! Are you okay?" George apologizes, the corners of his eyes crinkling in sympathy and apology.

A laugh falls from my lips, bright and colorful after the tiresome day. He watches me laugh for a while with a scowl, glaring daggers at me. I glance at his expression and only laugh louder and he slowly but surely joins in, quiet giggles sounding from behind his hand.

I look at him, watching as he tries to stifle his laughter. "And here I thought we weren't friends."

I watch as my statement invokes several emotions, but as his laughter fades, he settles on annoyance like usual. "You said that, not me." He frowns.

I look at him thoughtfully as he wraps my hand again, clicking his tongue at the burn. "I think I took what you said the wrong way."

"You did take it the wrong way." He agrees. His own features are also drawn out in thought, deciding to add more on despite his reservations. "I'm well aware of my job options. It's a preference. I don't like people judging me over it."

"I wasn't trying to judge you." I tell him simply. He hums. "Anyway, I've got some stuff to do so I'll let you get back to work." I look at my hand awkwardly and he gently takes the towel off.

It doesn't look worse than a sunburn. I bet it'll go away in a day or two. Huh. "See? I work magic." He smiles cockily.

"You missed your calling in the medical field." I tell him sarcastically. He sticks his tongue out, rushing over to his register and greeting the man looking at the menu, effectively ending the conversation.

"Hello there! Having a nice time?" A lady asks and I look up from my laptop.

"Ah yeah?" I ask, a little confused.

"Oh, I'm the owner of the cafe. Gloria, nice to meet you." She beams and I smile politely in realization, shaking her extended hand.

"Nice place you've got here." I tell her easily. She seems positively delighted at the praise, bowing her head humbly.

"Ah, this old place. What would I do without it. And the kids are so nice and hardworking." She exhales blissfully. It's like owning this tiny cafe is all she needs in life to be happy. She reminds me of the teapot from Beauty and the Beast. A kind, motherly personality with too much blush on her smiling cheeks.

"You've got some really great customer service." I tell the woman, nodding my head in George's direction. She chuckles, sending a proud smile his way.

She thanks me for the conversation and makes her way to the back, standing near George's side. I watch as they talk, Gloria looking in my direction with a grin. The Brit follows her gaze, staring at me for a few moments before dipping his chin to the floor with an embarrassed flush.