The Election of 1800

Hamilton and his family moved to the city. Since Philip's funeral, I've been exchanging letters with Eliza, and we've been comforting each other because no one knew what it was like to lose a child better than us. Thomas was becoming increasingly anxious as election day approached, and his main opponent was none other than Senator Aaron Burr, his former democratic-republican ally. And, believe me, Aaron was not only running against Thomas, but he was also openly campaigning.

I was in a meeting with Thomas and James, discussing strategies for winning the election. Everyone was silent, poring over pages of documents, and I was sneaking in some anti-slavery essays, hoping to put an end to it once and for all once my husband became president.

"Aaron Burr is quite appealing in the North. The people of New York like his chances." James spoke while looking at some charts he had created depicting our chances of winning.

"He's not very forthcoming about his stances. If you ask him a question, he will evade it, obfuscate, and dance." I replied, knowing the guy from our time together in the army.

"They call me a Francophile." Exasperatedly, Thomas says. "At the very least, they know I know where France is!"

"That's the problem, Thomas; see, they see Burr as less extreme than you." James says as he places his hand on Thomas' shoulder. I laugh and raise my head from my papers.

"You need to change your strategy; a key endorsement could save you." James made a proposal.

"Who are you thinking of?" I inquire, intrigued.

"Please don't laugh." James said this while pointing to me.

"Who exactly is it?" Thomas inquired at this time.

"You used to be on the same team." Turning to Thomas, James said. While getting up, I smacked my hands on the table. "What?" I yelled angrily.

"It'd be nice to have Hamilton on your side." James said this while staring at Thomas and ignoring me.

Thomas nodded and went to get a quill and some paper to write to Hamilton.

"Are you really doing this? The bastard despises you!" I stood up and approached Thomas.

"I'm only doing it as a last resort." Thomas consoled me and smiled sweetly at me, his eyes brightening when they met mine and making me feel helpless.

Finally, the day of voting arrived, and Aaron and Thomas were tied. James was bouncing his leg in his chair, I was chewing on my nails next to him, and Thomas was pacing around.

"The delegates will decide." I informed Thomas.

James lowered his gaze to the graphs. "It's entirely up to Hamilton." He frowned and said.

Aaron Burr sat across from us in the conference room, his face smug, as if he had already tasted victory. The doors slam open, and none other than Hamilton walks in.

"The public wants to hear my voice." He says this as he ascends to the pedestal, where everyone can hear him.

"The country is at a crossroads, with both parties deadlocked. If you asked me who I'd promote..." He continued his speech. Everyone was deafeningly quiet, the tension growing with each passing second.

"I'm voting for Jefferson." Hamilton said as he turned to face us. Thomas jumped up, as if he had been jumpscared, and I ran over to hug him tightly.

"I have never once agreed with Jefferson. We've fought on 75 different fronts, but when it's all said and done, Jefferson has beliefs, while Burr has none." Hamilton said as he finished his speech and stepped down.

"I'll be damned if I don't. Hamilton is on your team." James said this while patting Thomas on the back.

"And you won by a wide margin!" I exclaimed as I kissed Thomas on the cheek.

Aaron approached us, and Thomas let go of my and James' hands to shake Aaron's. Aaron smiled smugly at Thomas.

"Congratulations on a well-run race. I did put up a fight with you." Aaron stated.

"Uh-huh." Thomas mumbled, unable to believe what the man in front of him was saying.

"I am excited about our collaboration." Aaron stated.

"Our collaboration?" Thomas is perplexed.

Aaron explains, "as your vice president."

"Did you hear him?" Thomas inquired, turning to face me and James. "Man openly campaigns against me, saying, 'I look forward to our collaboration.'"

"It's absurd that the guy who finishes second gets to be Vice President." With a thoughtful expression on his face, James said.

"Well, you know why we can change that?" I inquired, giving Thomas a knowing look.

"Why?" James and Aaron were perplexed.

"Because I'm president." Thomas responded to us before returning his attention to Aaron. "Burr, thank Hamilton for the endorsement when you see him."

Aaron stomped out of the conference room, nodding furiously. Thomas swung me around in circles before kissing me deeply and setting me down.

"What is it like to be First Lady?" Thomas inquired, kissing my brow.

"What is it like to be President?" Smirking at him, I inquired.

"I've only ever felt this proud for us once before, on our wedding day, while we were both saying our vows." Thomas said this as he drew me in for a passionate kiss.

Let me just say that from then on, Thomas didn't leave his office unless he had to go to the bathroom or the kitchen. While I was visiting the Hamiltons uptown or checking in on the Burrs, he and James Madison were hard at work trying to regulate laws and taxes for our country. I'd like to simply say that Aaron did not take Hamilton's words well, and he was boiling inside with rage, waiting for the right moment to strike back. I saw him and Alexander exchange a few letters over the course of a few weeks, which led me to believe they were on their way to reconciliation.

You can imagine my surprise when, on a beautiful July morning, a small boy carrying a letter ran up to my door, impatiently telling me that I needed to get to the hospital as soon as possible.

I ran as fast as I could because running in a dress is not a pretty thing, and I was afraid of what might have happened in a few hours since the sun had risen. When I arrived, it was too late; I approached Angelica and Eliza, who were both bawling their eyes out beside a hospital bed. I couldn't believe my eyes when I approached the bed. Alexander Hamilton lay lifeless, a bullet wound between his ribs, his shirt stained red from the blood that had spilled.

At the same time, I felt my soul leave my body. As I saw what was in front of me, I stood there with my mouth agape. My first friend, the person who knew me the best and still chose to ignore my advice so many years ago. That same person who persuaded me to board a boat to America with him when we were 19 was now dead in front of me. I hated him for what he did to Eliza so many years ago and how he always played the cards in his favour, but as I stood there staring at his lifeless body, only sadness overcame me.