The Schuyler Sisters

Alexander was not at home the next morning. He left a note on the kitchen table saying he was going to sign our names up for the war and then going out for drinks with the boys, so I had the entire day to myself. I'm very fortunate. I got dressed up and went out in one of my lilac dresses.

I went into town to deliver Peggy's letter to the post office. On my way there, I saw a girl with curly hair wearing a peach dress and knew it had to be Angelica Schuyler, so I followed her, hoping to catch her so we could talk. When I was almost there, I noticed her being stopped by the one and only Aaron Burr, who appeared to be in a hurry.

"Excuse me, miss, I know it's not funny but your perfume smells like your daddy's got money. Why you slummin' in the city in your fancy heels? You searchin' for an urchin who can give you ideals?" He inquired, attempting to flirt. Angelica, on the other hand, appeared terrified and disgusted.

"Burr you disgust me." She said this as she pushed him away from her personal space.

"Ah, so you've discussed me? I'm a trust fund baby, you can trust me." Aaron responded. I considered interrupting them in order to save Angelica and Burr from embarrassment.

"I've been reading "Common Sense" by Thomas Paine. So men say that I'm intense or I'm insane. You want a revolution? I want a revelation. So listen to my declaration "We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal". And when I meet Thomas Jefferson I'ma compel him to include women in the sequel." Angelica didn't seem to need my assistance; she seemed to be fine on her own. Aaron left Angelica alone after their brief exchange, giving me the opportunity to approach her.

"Hey, Angelica!" I said this while waving and grabbing her attention.

"Well if it isn't Amalia Porter. How are you settling in the city, and has any boy tried to court you yet?" Angelica inquired as soon as she was next to me.

"Thank you for asking, I'm setting down just fine. In response to your question about boys, the only men I know are my friend with whom I came to New York, whom I've known since I was in diapers, and the other, whom you simply scared away."

"You've met Burr..." Angelica spewed venom.

"Yeah, he's not my type. I'm not sure what it is, but there's something wrong with him."

"I guess I have to agree. What are you doing in the city by yourself?" Angelica inquired, shaking the subject of Burr from her mind.

"I was actually on my way to the post office to send a letter to Peggy. Do you happen to know where she is so I can personally deliver the letter to her?" I inquired, my face bright.

I'd just finished a sentence when Peggy and Eliza appeared behind Angelica on cue. Peggy held a candy bag in her hand, while Eliza ate a croissant and handed Angelica two muffins.

"Speak of the devil." As I embraced all three sisters in a hug, I said.

"Did you come looking for me, 'Lia?" Peggy inquired, her candy-filled mouth half-full.

"In fact, I was. I believe all three of you would be interested in my suggestion. I came across this tailor shop last night while out for a walk. The dresses there are reasonably priced but of the highest quality. They're also hand-sewn, and the tailor there takes measurements for dresses." I told the girls about it.

Peggy squealed with delight, and Eliza and Angelica shook their heads at her childish demeanour. "We have to get going!" Can we leave? Please, Eliza and Angie?" Peggy enquired, jumping up and down in a frenzy.

"Peggy, look around, look around at how lucky we are to be alive right now. Of course, my dear, we can go shopping." Eliza stated as she turned to face me. "If it's okay with you, Amalia, lead the way."

I took the Schuyler sister to Hercules' tailor shop, and to my surprise, he was already there. Great! All I had to do was avoid eye contact with him so he wouldn't recognise me. The girls all ran around the shop looking at dresses and gowns, all awestruck by their beauty. Except for me, everyone seemed to find a dress they liked pretty quickly. That is, until I saw a lovely lilac purple ballgown with sequins.

The Schuylers saw how much I adored the dress and agreed to purchase it for me as a new-home gift. It took me a while to accept this, but I eventually caved and went into a back room with Hercules so he could alter the dress to fit me perfectly.

"You know, sir, I have to say, your dresses are the best I've ever seen." As he measured, I told him.

"Thank you very much, miss –- " He continued to try to get my name.

"My name is Amalia" I informed him. It felt strange telling him my real name because I had introduced myself to him as Laurance.

"I must say, Miss Amalia, you have excellent fashion sense; the model you chose is very fashionable right now." Herc said this as he finished taking my measurements and assisted me in dressing back into my normal outfit.

"Thank you very much, sir." I informed him.

"Please address me as Hercules." You don't look a day older than 18, and it would be strange to hear you speak to me as if I were someone in their thirties." Herc told me with his trademark devilish grin on his face.

"I'm sorry, sir, I mean, Hercules." Thank you for the dress; I'll come pick it up before the end of the week, is that okay?" I asked him, looking down at the dress he laid on the workbench.

"When it's finished, I'll mail it to you. What is your mailing address?"

Fuck! You messed up, Leah. If I give him my address, he'll see that I live in the same place as Alexander, and my cover will be blown.

I sighed as I looked over at him. "I'll be staying at the Schuylers this week, so you can mail it to the Schuyler Mansion with the other dresses." I deceived him. When we leave here, I'll have to tell Peggy about this little lie of mine.

Hercules nodded and began working on the gown. I took Peggy's arm and led her out to a small café where we each ordered a croissant and a cup of coffee. I had to explain what had happened to her.

"Pegs, pay attention. I have something I need to tell you about." I told her I was serious.

"What's the matter, 'Lia?" Did that tailor do you any harm? I'll take his life." Peggy spoke up and was about to stand up when I grabbed her arm.

"No, no, no, dear. That is something I did. I instructed him to mail the gown to the Schuyler Estate. I'm still hesitant to tell people where I live, especially a man I don't know well enough." I only told her half the truth.

"Oh, 'Lia, that's all right! For a split second, you terrified me. I'll take the gown and send it to you as soon as it arrives."

"Thank you, Pegs; I knew I could rely on you." I informed her.

After our brief conversation, the Schuyler sisters gave me a lift, and I slept the rest of the night away. Peggy sent me the dress later that week, which I carefully tucked away in the back of my closet because I wanted to wear it for a special occasion.

Soon after, Alexander and I set out for war with Lafayette, John, Hercules, and Aaron Burr. We trained for two months and, surprisingly, I was the best shooter among the recruits. The Hamilsquad, as Alexander referred to us, and I shared the tent. If you ask me, it's not a particularly inventive idea simply because it came from his mouth.

Another year was spent attempting to push the enemy lines back, and I ended up killing a lot of British soldiers without hesitation. General Washington promoted me to general as a result of my incredible shooting abilities, which came in handy for the guys because they could do whatever they wanted and be pardoned by me.

The British army was closing in on us. Washington's worst idea yet was to make Charles Lee second in command. We all despised him.