The Bastard Gets Married

Alexander would only talk about Eliza for a week after the ball. He questioned everything I knew about her and wrote her letters every night. After two weeks of exchanging letters, he made his decision and travelled to the Schuyler Estate to seek Philip Schuyler's permission to marry Eliza. Later that day, he came home and told me he was marrying Eliza in a month.

That month went by quickly. Alexander's groomsmen were Lafayette and Hercules, and his best man was John. Hercules was also the flower boy, a decision he made rather than one we made. Eliza's bridesmaids were Peggy and me, and Angelica was the maid of honour.

The girls and I were both getting ready in a dressing room. Peggy and I were both dressed in matching light blue gowns, with our hair tied in high ponytails. Angelica was dressed in her signature peach gown, with her hair down in curls. Eliza was nervously walking around the room. Angelica attempted, but failed, to calm her sister down.

Soon it was time to walk down the aisle; Lafayette and I were first, followed by Peggy and Hercules, Herc throwing flower petals. We sat in the first row, and Angelica and John walked down the aisle together, standing on either side of Alexander. The music began to play, and Philip Schuyler walked Eliza down the aisle with grace. I tried hard not to cry, but a single tear trickled down my cheek.

It was now time for the bride and groom to say their vows.

"Eliza, I don't have a dollar, an acre of land, a troop to command, or a smidgeon of fame to my name. All I have is my honour, a high pain tolerance, a couple of college credits, and a brilliant mind. Insane, your family brings out a different side of me; Peggy confides in me, and Angelica attempts to bite me. There was never any doubt in my mind about my feelings for you. We'll get a small apartment in Harlem and figure it out. Since I was a child, I've been living without a family: my father abandoned me, my mother died, and I grew up buckwild. But I'll never forget the look on my mother's face; it was genuine. Eliza, I swear to God you'll never feel so helpless as long as I'm alive." Alexander spoke, not taking his gaze away from Eliza and kissing her knuckles when he was finished.

The vows of Eliza came next.

"I vow to always be your protector and confidante, responsible for ensuring that all of your needs are met, all of your desires are met, and all of your dreams are realised. It is said that whoever finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains God's favour. From this life we've built to get to this moment, this great moment in our lives, I vow to always be your good thing, with love in my heart, always by your side, until my last breath. I adore you." My eyes welled up as Eliza said her vows.

The wedding reception was a shambles, with people drinking, laughing, talking, and dancing. We were all just having a good time and cheering on the newlyweds. Washington approached us and told us that we could have another week off to recover from the party, and he wished Alexander and his wife the best of luck.

After the reception, the Hamilsquad and I gathered around and John began singing, to which we all joined in.

"I may not live to see our glory!"

"But I've seen wonders great and small" Alex moved his hand between him and Hercules.

"'Cause if the tomcat can get married." I laughed.

"If Alexander can get married" Laf and Herc sang together.

"There's hope for our ass, after all!" John continued with his song.

"Raise a glass to freedom! Something you will never see again! No matter what she tells you." I sang this line, and the boys applauded.

"Let's have another round tonight!" Laf said this while handing each of us another glass of wine.

"Raise a glass to the five of us!" Alex just said, and Laf and I just yelled "Woo" at him.

"To the newly not poor of us!" Herc said and started dancing with Laf.

"We'll tell the story of tonight! Let's have another round." Me and John sang the chorus.

"Well, if it isn't Aaron Burr!" Alexander said as he walked over to Aaron.

"Sir!" Aaron Burr saluted.

"I didn't think that you would make it." Alex told Burr.

"To be sure" Burr replied.

"Burr!" We chimed in their conversation

"I came to say congratulations" Burr ignored us.

"Spit a verse, Burr!" John yelled

"I see the whole gang is here." Burr said, turning around to face us.

"You are the worst, Burr!" Lafayette told Burr, while rolling his eyes.

"Ignore them, congrats to you, Lieutenant Colonel. I wish I had your command instead of manning George's journal." Alex said while placing a hand on Burr's shoulder.

"No, you don't"

"Yes, I do"

"Now, be sensible. From what I hear, you've made yourself indispensable"

"Well, well, I heard you've got a special someone on the side, Burr" John said this while wrapping his arm around Burr's shoulders.

"Is that so?" Me and Alex asked curiously.

"What are you tryin' to hide, Burr?" John continued to press him on.

"I should go." Burr said moving away from us.

"No, these guys should go" Alex said and shoved our group out the door.

"What? No!" The rest of the Hamilsquad protested.

I sneaked back into the room and discovered that the woman Burr has been courting is married to a British General in Georgia. Burr abruptly left after their brief conversation, leaving me and Alex alone.

"Once again, congratulations, brother. You've managed to sway one of New York City's most lovely ladies. Now, go be with your wife and make sure you cherish her until the end of your days." While embracing him, I told him.

"Thank you very much, Leah. It's an honour to have my best friend with me tonight, and I promise you that nothing will ever come between Eliza and me. I hope you find a wealthy man who will love you and keep you satisfied for the rest of your life. You are always welcome to stay with us, and our children will regard you as their aunt." He told me before leaving to be with his wife.

After dropping off a drunken John at his house, Hercules and Lafayette took me home that night. I sat at my desk and wrote in my diary about everything that had happened between the time we arrived in New York in 1772 and tonight's wedding in 1780.

Han pasado ocho años desde que Alexander y yo nos mudamos a Estados Unidos. Hicimos muchos amigos y luchamos en una guerra durante ocho años, durante los cuales fui ascendido a general. Fui herido en el campo de batalla y tuve que pasar varias semanas en una tienda médica. George Washington me permitió quedarme y convirtió a Alexander en su mano derecha. Volvimos a casa a principios de este mes después de asistir a un baile de invierno en el que Alexander conoció a su futura esposa, Eliza. Hoy se han casado. Este año cumplo veintiséis años y, desde que me mudé a Estados Unidos, he encontrado la belleza en pasar tiempo con las personas que me importan. Estoy deseando ver lo que me depara el resto de mi vida.

(It's been eight years since Alexander and I moved to America. We made friends and fought in a war for eight years, during which time I was promoted to General. I was wounded on the battlefield and had to spend several weeks in a medical tent. George Washington allowed me to stay and appointed Alexander as his right hand man. We returned home earlier this month after attending a winter ball where Alexander met his future wife, Eliza. They married today. I'm twenty-six this year, and ever since I moved to America, I've found beauty in spending time with people I care about. I can't wait to see what the rest of life has in store for me.)