Blow Us All Away

Disclaimer: Bring tissues

November, 1801.

Peggy Schuyler-Mulligan, Amalia's best friend, died earlier this year. Since then, the entire family and close friends have been in mourning. Not only has Peggy's death affected Amalia, causing her to experience depression, but so has her pregnancy, and let's not forget Eliza, who was not only publicly humiliated and heartbroken by her cheating husband, but also lost her younger sister.

Amalia stopped eating regularly and spent time in her and Thomas' shared bedroom reading letters she and Peggy had exchanged over the years, reliving memories in the hopes of keeping Peggy alive in her mind.

She would also pay frequent visits to Hercules and his children, Marc and Rita. In the eyes of the children, she would only see Peggy and cry when she returned home.

On the 4th of July this year, after attending George Eacker's speech in the square, Amalia's family and Eliza's paid their respects at Peggy's grave, but all Philip could talk about was how George Eacker spread nasty rumours and tarnished his father's name.

Philip later told his aunt Amalia about George Eacker. Both graduated from King's College at the same time, but Eacker's family was wealthier, and he was a spoiled brat looking for a fight.

What Amalia did not enjoy was the day Philip appeared at her front door, dishevelled, scared, and sweating.

"What the hell happened, child?" Amalia inquired as she led Philip inside.

"It's George Eacker. I challenged him to a duel because he refused to apologise for insulting my pops." Philip stated after regaining his breath.

Amalia smacked Philip on the back of the head. "Are you crazy? You could perish!" She stated. Because of the stress and agitation, the baby began kicking her bump, so Amalia leaned back into the couch and began rubbing her stomach.

"Someone needs to put a stop to him! He can't just say whatever he wants about my family and expect no repercussions." Philip replied by rubbing the back of his neck.

"Is your father aware of the duel?" Amalia inquired, rubbing her brow.

"Yes, he handed me his pistols and told me to aim for the sky." Philip responded by folding his hands.

Amalia sighed and rolled her eyes. "Your father is the most inept adult I've ever met. You're as good as dead if you shoot at the sky. Who knows how far Eacker is willing to go if he can't let go of his ego and apologise?"

"I can't believe I'm about to say this, but Philip, you can't throw away your shot. If you want to survive, shoot him in the leg and run as fast as you can. That would be enough." Amalia placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Thank you, Tia; I knew I could rely on you." Philip hugged his aunt tightly.

"Watch out, you're squishing your unborn prima." Amalia chastised him.

"I apologise." He rubbed Amalia's bump and laughed nervously.

"Now, go, little one. Make your family proud." Amalia laughed and pushed him outside.

Amalia had been unable to concentrate on anything other than Philip all day. She was terrified of losing another member of her small family so soon after Peggy.

Everything was peaceful until she was summoned to the hospital. She stormed into the hospital, pushing people aside in order to get to Philip's room. When she walked in, she saw Philip on a medical bed, covered in blood, with his torso bandaged. Alexander stood by Philip's bedside, holding his hand and telling him to conserve his strength and stay alive.

"What happened?" Amalia said as she sat beside Philip's bedside with Alexander.

"Eacker fired first." Philip spoke weakly, clutching his stomach in pain, tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Shh, child, save your strength; we'll make it through." Hamilton informed his son.

"The bullet entered just above his hip and lodged in his right arm." Alexander informed Amalia. It was now time for Amalia to cry.

Eliza dashed through the doors and came to a halt when she saw the view in front of her. "Is he still alive? Is he going to make it through this?" She asked once she regained consciousness and rushed alongside Amalia and Alexander.

"Alexander, do you have any idea who did this?" Eliza inquired. Philip has obviously not informed his mother about the duel.

"I'm so sorry, Mom, for forgetting what you taught me," Philip coughed.

"We practised the piano. You would put your hands on mine." Philip began telling his mother as tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Every time, you changed the melody." Eliza laughed wistfully.

"I was always changing the line." Philip continued, this time weaker.

"I know, shh," Eliza said as she rubbed his hand.

"Un-deux-trois-quatre-cinq-six-sept-huit-neuf" Philip began to count in French.

"Good," Eliza said, praising him as she always did when they played the piano together. There was complete silence.

"Sept-huit-neuf," Eliza counted again, but there was no response from Philip, who was now lying on his back, limp in the medical bed.

Then there was silence, followed by Eliza's wailing screams as she was led away by the medics. Amalia was dragged away by a nurse, but in the ensuing chaos, she was pushed into a table. The next thing she knew, water was dripping down her leg and she was in excruciating pain in her stomach. She began screaming in pain, and the doctors did everything they could to calm her down.

Amalia lost not only her oldest nephew to an infected bullet wound, but also her and Thomas's unborn daughter due to a miscarriage that day. Eliza and Alexander moved uptown with the kids, still not speaking to one another, while Amalia and Thomas remained in town, Amalia under doctor's supervision and on antidepressants.

Thomas and Sally took turns watching over Amalia and making sure she took her medication; she had once suffered a heart attack as a result of the depression and needed to be monitored at all times.