"Who are these people?" I ask. "Did you rescue them?"

"Yes," Lieutenant Johan says matter-of-factly. "Most of them belong to families of government officials."

My eyes narrow. "What about the rest who are waiting for help?"

Lieutenant John lifts a brow nonchalantly. "Our resources are limited and capacity is currently full. Bringing in more people is going to risk our safety, and I can't let that happen."

An uncomfortable feeling pools in my stomach. In other words, these are important people who got rescued first because of their wealth, status and connections in the society. In my case, he's only keeping me alive because he suspects I've a special connection to merfolks. If I turn out to be useless, I'm certain he'll have me disposed of right away.

Next, he leads me into a room next to The Lounge. There's a line forming where people are queuing with their metal bowls and cutlery. The smell of food is enticing and almost distracts me from my guided tour.

"This is the cafeteria," Lieutenant Johan introduces. "This is where we get our food. We're rationing our supplies, but everybody gets food and water every day."

I study the room. Right now, the staff are giving out oatmeal and corn kernels to the people. Their chatter seems rather animated and carefree. They all wear smiles on their faces, seemingly oblivious to the deaths and other happenings in the outside world.

Because they're safe here.

While ignorance may be bliss, it may become dangerous for them. I'm not trying to jinx this place, but what if it falls apart someday?

Lieutenant Johan turns around wordlessly and heads for the exit, forcing me to keep up with him. He takes us through another passageway and into a foyer–the ground floor of The Common Ground.

This time, it looks like a main assembly of the quarters. When you look upwards, they've structured the rest of the floors in layers of circles. Rooms are next to each other with metal number plates hammered into the doors.

"This is the sleeping quarters," he explains. "Each room has two bunker beds. While there's a 9pm curfew imposed here, people are free to roam during the rest of the day."

When he steps closer to me, I back away immediately. My reaction immediately earns me a frown from him and, without warning, his hand grabs my wrist painfully, holding me onto the spot. His tone sounds almost cocky.

"What do you think? Life here isn't too bad, isn't it?"

I know what he wants from me–my secret–but he's not getting it. "This won't change my mind," I say firmly, giving him the most unimpressed look. "I'm not teaming up with you."

He releases my wrist and raises a brow with a frighteningly calm composure. "What a shame. I thought for sure that my offer sounded appealing."

He walks away. At last, the tour is over. The way back to the floor of my prison cell is quicker than the journey coming up. I almost sigh in relief, grateful to go back to my personal space, until Lieutenant Johan stops me.

He unlocks the door, and it slides open for us. "I almost forgot something," he admits. "There's just one more place I haven't shown you."

We step through a dark, narrow passageway that's illuminated by a line of dark blue lights. It opens up to a viewing gallery, where there's a thick glass between us and what looks like an experiment room. There's a huge glass tank sitting in the middle of the room with water of a luminescence blue color filled to its brim. A group of scientists are tapping away on their tablets and holding a discussion in there.

My throat constricts. I'm getting a bad feeling about this. There's just something wrong with this setting, because it awfully reminds me of my last meeting with Dad and how they manipulated his mind.

It's not Zarius in there, is it?

Fear creeps into my veins. I see a shadow swimming and thrashing around in the tank, giving off a series of loud bangs as it tries to escape, but I can't make out its shape just yet. My blood runs cold when I suddenly hear a breathy whisper from nowhere–a female's voice.

Help.

The shadow slams up against the glass tank and this time, I see it. It's a heart-stopping moment for me when I notice a tail in the water, followed by a wave of luscious blue hair.

It's a captured mermaid.

And she's hurt with several bruises marring her discolored skin.

From my back, Lieutenant Johan's voice rings out. "My offer still stands, Cordelia Walters. If you don't wish to let your precious merfolk friend end up like one of these creatures, answer my question truthfully."

When he sees that I'm not budging, he reiterates his offer again. "Think about it."

Just as he finishes his sentence, the mermaid slams up against the glass tank again. Her fists pound against the glass with such intensity that she almost breaks her own arms. She's staring straight at me with bloodshot eyes, her silent cries audible to my ears only.

Help. Please.

It hurts so much.

I think I'm about to throw up.