46 | Prison Break

I sit on top of a toilet seat cover, frowning hard at the cream-colored lightbulb. A light sheen of sweat covers my forehead.

At least half an hour has passed since I've hidden in the toilet, trying to blow up a lightbulb, but this is my nineteenth attempt. The light flickers twice above me, and I know I'm not there yet.

The image of the mermaid who is still being held captive in the tank still haunts my mind. Her pain reflects in her tormented blue eyes and my heart aches on her behalf. What World Solutions and Lieutenant Johan are doing to her is cruel. Inhuman.

Time is running out. The longer I wait, the more pain these people would inflict on the innocent.

I need to find a way to get everyone out of here.

I pace back and forth in the tiny space, trying to think of a way. Ever since my ability has awakened, I can feel an occasional itch in my fingertips, but I don't know how to properly use it. I've tried to chant some wizard incantations like those in the fantasy movies and even doused my hands in water, hoping to generate electricity again, but nothing happens.

Maybe my desperation has clouded my concentration. A part of me also fears getting myself killed instead.

I need to think of something else.

Something that can empower me.

This time, I try to conjure an image in my mind. I think of the crystal-blue ocean, the salty air and the water flowing around me. I think of the sunset, the gorgeous colors of the skies, my family, friends and Zarius. I picture him taking me out for a swim across the ocean, accompanied by friendly sea friends who ride the waves with us.

I think of a future of us living in this broken world. Building a home together.

Hope.

A tingle spread from my arms all the way to my fingertips. The light flickers again, and this time, I hear something humming, like a static sound from the TV when you hit the wrong channel.

Just as I brace myself for what's about to come next, the bulb sizzles and explodes. Pieces of glass rain onto the floor tiles and I'm engulfed in darkness.

I've done it.

I've used my ability for the second time and it feels incredible.

Although I don't have the time to practice again, I think I can somehow use it to get us out of here.

I've stayed out of the camera for too long, because the door to my cell suddenly unlocks and slides open. A set of boots enters and an annoyed guard's voice calls out for me.

"How long are you going to be stuck in the toilet for? Get out of there," he snaps. I hear him drop a tray and it clatters. "Your meal is here."

This is definitely a security check. Remembering Max's words, I press the button on my earpod and brush out my blonde locks to hide it. Wiping the sweat off my forehead, I push the toilet flush button and clamber out with a nonchalant shrug.

"Stomach ache," I explain. "This room is making me claustrophobic."

He shoots me a disgusted look. Now that he has checked on me, he turns to leave, but I can't just let him go yet.

I need him to come closer without raising his suspicion

"Wait." I can't help but feel nervous. I'm terrible at acting, much less trying to sneak up on someone. "Can you fix a lightbulb? The one in my toilet is faulty. It's difficult to see in there."

He rolls his eyes at my request. I can definitely tell he hates how he's babysitting a teenager like me. This might be the reason why a newbie guard like Max could easily swap his duties with the others and deliver my food the last time.