28 | Survivors

My cousin has proven that she is one tough woman to kill.

Seeing her safe and sound, I feel a surge of relief and joy. I jump and throw my arms around her, catching her off guard. "Maddie–"

One second I'm leaping through the air, and the next I'm lying flat on the ground.

"Ow!" I blink up at the ceiling, disoriented. I probably look like the meme, 'Where am I? Who am I?'. My whole back is drumming in pain from taking the brunt of that fall. "What—?"

I hear a surprised gasp. Maddie blinks down at me, her eyes widening. "Delia?"

I forget she used to attend Judo classes. I forget she was the one who recommended my mother to have me attend the boxing classes at a gym that she frequented. Hence, when I wrapped my arms around her earlier, she threw me over her back as if I'm a backpack.

Concern flickers across Maddie's face. "Sorry about that! Are you alright?"

I groan like an old woman. "Of course not. You just tried to kill me."

"Can't blame my instincts after getting chased by monsters for days, baby cousin." She holds out a hand towards me and I grab it, letting her pull me in for a crushing hug. She buries her face in my shoulder and rasps out with a tiny, relieved sigh.

Her voice trembles with emotions. "Thank God you're alive, Delia. I was so afraid. I couldn't bear to think what would happen if everyone was dead."

Maddie has always been a calm and collected person, even in stressful situations. In a classroom full of boisterous, playful students, she never lost her cool. She always puts on a strong front. Even when her ex-boyfriend cheated on her last time and they broke up, she cried once and moved on quickly.

But this is the first time I see her absolutely terrified.

And I want to be here for her. I should have gone to look for her earlier.

"Have you checked out your home?" I croak. " And Gramps?"

"Not yet, but I will." Her embrace tightens and I can barely breathe. "Where's Aunt Roxie?"

My heart constricts painfully. "We got separated. I'm looking for her too."

Her face falls at my words, clearly crestfallen. "Then let's go together," she promises. "We'll find our family."

"Of course, but first—" I wheeze and hit her back. "I. Can't. Breathe. Gorilla."

"Sorry." Chuckling, she releases me, letting her gaze roam across me to check for injuries. Her voice turns small and quiet. "Where were you? I tried looking for you in school once the storm stopped. I thought you were dead, and it was hard to locate you among the bodies."

"I did! I texted you, but there were no replies."

"Oh." Realization dawns on her. She pinches the crevices between her forehead and lets out a small groan. "It's because I left my phone in the office to grab a sandwich from the cafeteria when everything went down. We hid there for days. Sorry."

Maddie's gaze travels from my face to Zarius's, finally noticing him for the first time. Her head tips upwards as she appraises him from head to toe. "Who is he? A friend you met along the way? He's really tall."

Smiling, I gesture towards him. "This is Zarius," I introduce nervously, hoping that she doesn't notice any odd signs about him. "We met on the run and stuck together ever since then."

However, Zarius doesn't seem impressed by Maddie's move earlier. He barely acknowledges her, simply giving her an impassive frown with his lips pressed together in a firm line.