Chapter 9

Crestfallen Ashes

Life never gives us a challenge we can't overcome. As a child, worrying wasn't really a word that we had thought of. We were even looking forward to what growing up has for us. All we had to do was be innocent and relish the present and establish a good plan for the future as we question: Do we achieve the quixotic ambitions we unyieldingly carry? How do we look? How much has changed with how we perceive life? Who are the people that surrounds me?

Certainly, perhaps not all, but most of grown up human beings, if were given the chance to talk to the child version of themselves, they'd tell them that living at the moment where such miniscule predicaments, such as 'throwing tantrums whenever our parents forces us to sleep in the afternoon' is the only thing we fret about and nothing more major than not having a friend at the first day of school.

"What do you mean?!" She said in whisper-shout, her soul leaving her body.

The adrenaline fastly abrupted but also disappeared as she heard the news from the other line. "They've already demised the fire but there are couple of electronics and paperwork that has been burnt."

"I don't care about the electronics, but the documents there, fucking shit! I'm on my way!" Lea didn't think of changing to something more "appealing" nor fixing her appearance, none of that was her priority most especially that her office was set on fire.

She grabbed a car key and immediately went downstairs, not informing anyone of her whereabouts.

Inside the car, Lea with her hair up in a bun, indoor slippers and silk pajamas, she was anticipating the worst and was prepared for the riskiest ride of her life, turning the mechanism of the car on, not until her other door opened, revealing Aga.

"What the fuck?" She jested in surprise. "Yeah, Arwell, what the fuck! Are you going to give me a heart attack? Where are you going?"

"None of your business!" The gate automatically opened as she pressed on the pedals.

"Is this something important?" He asked in a shouting manner. "Obviously!"

"Slow down!"

"Jump off!" She shouted back and pressed the pedals to make the vehicle drive off faster.

It took them less than 15 minutes to arrive at the building, it wasn't a hard task for Lea to pin Zen with her eyes as she already saw her before she could jay-parked her car.

The woman looked as unprepared as she was, her hair was all over her face and she was only wearing nighties with jacket on.

"Zen! What's the update?" Lea was meters away but the woman she was talking to picked up the resonance of her voice.

"It's still unsafe for any civilian to enter the building, we need to wait until they've found the cause of the fire." Lea looked up to the floor where her office was located as she saw ashes falling from it, the big glass that walled it from the outside was shattered, some were even on the first floor where they were standing at.

"What happened?" She clicked her tongue as she observed the obvious part where the fire commenced. It was black and sure nothing in that room survived.

"No one got harmed?" She followed, seeing not-so-many familiar faces of her employees. Some were still in their office attires, some looked like they were out and just went there after accumulating the news.

"Most employees who were on overtime were 2 floors below where your office is at, all of them got out safely." It was cacophony inside Lea's mind as all she could do was nod her head.

Renovating her office will be very easy, she wasn't worrying about that, but the files she has there were very crucial, most importantly photos that she kept in her drawers.