Chapter 3

Sweats or Sweets?

"Zen?" Lea called in the middle of an important Zoom meeting, ushering her secretary to silently come near her.

The woman followed what she was gestured to and quietly walked towards her boss, she took a glance at her bodyguard beside her then swift an inch or two further from him and leaned towards Lea.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Can you please get me something sweet? I would really like some now." Her voice sounded soft and dearing; it was something flabbergasting for the long-time worker. She would usually sound mad even if she wasn't. Kind of — unintentional resonance that will make you distance from her.

"I'll check if there are near pastry shops, ma'am. If not, then I'll try to order online." Lea gave her a little nod as Zen excuses herself and left the woman alone with the man who was as tenacious as a statue.

"Can't you leave me for at least 10 minutes?" She didn't bother to look at him but Aga stole a glance and answer a swift 'no.'

"My job is to look after you and stay as close as possible to you, ma'am."

"Even if we're talking about confidential stuff here?" She raised her head a little, making it face him first before her eyes left the screen.

Their sights met, Lea suddenly lost connection from her hearing senses and Aga's body couldn't move any longer. They were both electrified with the eye-contact that they didn't realize how long they were starring in each other's eyes.

"Ms. Galvez? Hello, mayor? Are you here with us?" Their coherence was only cut when Lea identified that she was being addressed by the person from the other line.

She opened her mic, "Pardon?"

"About the Thompsons. I've heard they're planning to start a new company and use it to sabotage yours. I don't know if this is some talk or have you confirmed it? "

"We've heard of their plan about the company and our team is working on it already. We're checking into their systems and keeping an eye on them. I've actually sent some people to work there, some are accepted for the interview." Lea rested her chin on her hands that were placed over her table, she bit her inner cheek when her tummy made a sound, indicating her hunger and the certain cravings for sweets.

"That's good that you already made a move. You have a second plan?" She was about to answer when Aga made a move that distracted her. She raised an eyebrow at him and saw him using his phone, she inhaled deeply to pause herself from chastising him then proceeded to answer the said question.

"We're in the process of finishing it." They shook head 'okay.'

"Anyway, they say that the CEO of that company is not the old Thompson. Have any idea who it may be?" She followed a very good topic which strike her team-mates/co-workers curiosity.

"Might be Sunny Thompson?" One suggested. "I doubt so, the guy's applying as my private attorney." Lea informed, leaning at her back as her chair inclined a little backwards.

Even through the screen, with Philippines' notorious internet, Lea could sense and even sight the shock written over their faces.

"A Thompson? Applying as their opponent's Attorney?" A latter asked in disbelief. Lea gave a hum as an answer, distracted while still thinking about the pastries her inner self has been screaming for.

"Anyway, I need to adjourn this meeting. I'll ask Zen to send the next schedule a day prior. Go eat your lunches. Thank you for the participation." They didn't need to hear it for another time as one by one left, the small internet meeting collapsed into an abandoned link.