Chapter 12

We have just finished our celebration dinner at the guys' favorite restaurant called Anada and Gina has joined us too.

"Ah, this was probably the best dinner ever," Daniel says, rubbing his tummy. "We come here like every week, but I don't think we notice how good the meals really are."

Beau laughs, "I bet everything tastes amazing when you've just been signed with MTV!"

Jai, Luke, Beau, Daniel and James all high five each other across the table and Gina hugs me. Today all us teenagers were allowed to have a glass of champagne, even though Beau and I are the only ones who can legally drink. But when we're under the supervision of Gina Brooks nothing can go wrong. And I'm pretty sure that's not the first time for these guys to down a class or two...

Suddenly Jai stands up. "I wanna make a toast." 

Gina smiles at him and raises her glass of champagne. "Go ahead, sweetie."

We all raise our glasses and Jai quotes, "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing-"

Beau lets out a laugh. Both Gina and Jai send him a disturbed look. "What is it?" Jai asks.

"Just, wow man, a Disney quote? You're lame."

Jai shoots back, "Well, mister Brooks, that makes you also lame then if you know it's Disney who said it." 

He continues. "What I was going to say before I got interrupted was that this contract is a whole new experience for us. A way to get Janoskians more known worldwide. Now we gotta hang on this crazy ride, do our best to get noticed and just enjoy what we're doing. I'm afraid that if we're not careful enough, we might forget where we started from and who we truly are. Fame can do it. So let's toast to staying true to everyone, but mostly yourself."

We all raise our glasses higher and gulp them down. I do it a little too quickly and start to cough. Everyone looks at me a bit weirdly at first, but then they start giggling. When I can breathe again, I chuckle too. You could say the whole situation WAS pretty funny. You don't see it very often when practically a grownup nearly suffocates because of champagne. It seems kinda lame. But hey, that's me. 

When we've finished eating I realize it's quite late. Daniel and James both go their own way, mumbling something about their grandparents coming over. Gina quickly stands up, apologizing that she has a lot of washing up to do, Luke wants to practice footy and Beau says he has to finish editing a video due tomorrow. They say a quick 'bye', sit in their car and off they go. 

I look around and see it's only Jai and me. Looks almost as if they did it on purpose...

"I guess it's only the two of us now... Wanna see a movie or something?" I have to swallow down the butterflies trying to escape my stomach. Going to the cinema? With Jai? Yes please! 

On the outside I try to keep calm and shrug, "Yeah, why not. I'd love to see something new!" 

We step out of the tiny restaurant and start walking down the street because we have no ride anymore. I don't mind though - it is dark and the cinema is a 20-minute walk away, but it's winter in Australia and the weather still rather warm. Suddenly a gust of wind comes up from somewhere. I shiver and look down at myself. White low Converse's and a sheer summer dress... Not actually a warm clothing item. On the other hand Jai, this lucky bastard, is wearing a denim jacket and skinnies. 

"C'mere, you shiver like crazy. Take my jacket," he offers. I smile at him gratefully, take it and put it on. It's a number or two too big for me but I'll manage, at least it keeps warm. 

"Won't you be cold then?"

"Oh no, don't worry. I'm fine."

For a few minutes we walk in silence. When we turn to a quiet little park just one street away from the cinema I feel something snake up to my waist. I look up to see Jai's eyes already watching me. 

He has one of his hands in his jeans' pocket and the other one around my waist. He looks at me for a long time, almost as if he thought I was going to scream or punch him or run away. Instead, I give him an approving smirk and continue walking. Come on, we peck each other's cheeks casually. Mates can walk like this too, can't they?