13

"My lord, allow me to present Lady Avalon, as requested, sir." Rutherford announced me. Directing me to go and take my seat. For the first time, there were no carpets. The stone was cold and smooth under my feet. Polished until it was glossy. As I approached the seated man, I felt the electric pressure I had felt in the air before the storm. Only more intense. The seated man was younger than I imagined his lordship would turn out to be.

Even Hilda stirred as I looked at him, with interest. Sincere interest. His skin was rich deep brown. Framed and enhanced by Silky blackest black ink colored hair. His face and jaw accentuated by the thick beard that was luscious and full while still cropped close to his skin. He smelled like a wolf shifter but also different Hilda hissed a warning that it was magic in the air.

He was dressed like Jonathan Rhys Myers in The Tudors. Hot old world bad boy screaming from every pore of his perfect skin. The way he held his broad square shoulders, how he was looking at me. there was a golden badge and chain on his shoulder, a literal actual cape on his back. This was a man who got his way.

I might have followed mom's rules to stay small my whole life. That hadn't ever meant I bent myself for someone else. I was immediately put off by 'his lordship' and the attitude I was feeling from him. I took my seat, sitting ramrod straight on the chair, feet flat on the floor. Though that meant I had to sit very far forward on the chair. Sometimes I hated being shorter than average, dangling feet in chairs was always one of those times.

I looked at the place setting in front of me. Multiple layered plates and chargers. Place mats made of silk at just our two places, napkins, way more forks, spoons and knives than I had names for. Water glass, wine glass, tea cup. How could there be so many knives and not a single one looked actually sharp. I was seated, and as comfortable as I was going to get. I looked towards 'His Lordship.' Fuck he was even better looking up close. His eyes were dark, until you looked close enough to see the depth and gold hidden in the iris. He smiled as I continued to stare. Straight pearl white teeth in a staggeringly attractive smile. Revealing his full lips at their best.

This wouldn't be the first pretty face that was hiding a shitty ugly man. The handful of times Aaron and I had tried to go out dancing, act our age and have fun at bars it never ended well. The moment Aaron left my side I seemed to attract the worst kind of men. Two had even been vampires looking for a meal. Eat and run away seemed like an excellent plan. Hilda purred her agreement.

He was just looking at me. Like he was trying to scrutinise everything about me. "You know my name, I still don't know yours." I said, trying to keep my voice pleasant, and hide my current revulsion. Polite, just be polite, get fed and then run.

"Rama Remus Lycus the First of his name, enchanted to meet you lady Avalon." He raised his wine glass with an unusual smile on his face. The wine glass filled itself up with red wine, just as mine did. "Well met." he said encouragingly. I picked up the now full glass and clinked mine against his. Without a word more taking a small sip.

I felt the air shift as a cloche appeared over the first plate in my stack. I looked down, as Rama raised his cloche, I moved quick to copy him. Revealing a very nice little bun with a tiny pot of butter beside it. "Fresh baked sourdough with a bakeapple compound butter." Rama announced to me.

I looked at him suspiciously. I had never heard of a bakeapple. Thanks to endless hours of Topchef reruns I knew what compound butter was. Deducing that bakeapple was maybe a fruit. Or maybe it was like mincemeat and nothing like its name. I was starving, only one way to find out.

I broke open the still warm bun, and used almost the entire crock of butter provided to slather the inside. Closing it all back up like a little sandwich. The bun was soft inside a delicate crust outside, while the spread was tart and floral over the rich taste of melted butter. It was heaven. I hadn't tasted anything close to this in weeks. Before everything, I had been wrapped up in the change in semesters, I hadn't been out to a good restaurant in far too long.