Epilogue

Four Years Later

May 1877

Once upon a dreary time Ethan believed he was destined for a life of loneliness and solitude. That was certainly the direction he was headed until Emma had appeared. She was bossy and opinionated and didn't back down to his surly and gruff ways. Though the circumstances of their acquaintance were unconventional it was what made their love that much rarer and truer. Like the fleeting glimpse of a rainbow after a storm they would always shine together.

"You're brooding again," Emma said entering his study.

He was staring at the portrait on the wall. The one Ethan had commissioned Reggie to paint, of them on their wedding day.

Emma had looked gorgeous of course wearing a lace ball gown with quarter length cap sleeves each adorned with a large bow and a long train. Her hair was pulled back into an intricate coronet, atop her head was a wreath of flowers, picked from the Lavender Hall gardens, which is where they happened to be standing in the portrait in front of the bubbling fountain.

"I am not. I'm musing." Ethan corrected her. 

"Which is just another way of saying brooding. If this is about Reggie's guest, you're better off just accepting it." Emma informed him.

Ethan frowned. "I don't mind if he invited her. I just don't understand why he wants my approval."

"You're the Earl of Salisbury. Your approval matters." Emma informed him.

"That's not why." he rebuked.

"Fine, you're his cousin and he; wants you to tell him if he's making a fool of himself." Emma corrected herself.

"That sounds better." Ethan agreed, smiling.

Emma smiled, "Is your brooding concluded then?"

"That depends on if our children are awake yet." he responded.

"They are not." Emma answered.

"Then yes, I'm done." he informed her.

Ethan stood up. His leg hardly ever pained him now thanks to Emma's constant care and attention.

"Don't you have work to do?" Emma asked, nodding toward his messy desk.

"It will keep." he assured her. He'd much rather spend the afternoon in bed with her.

"That's what you always say." she reminded him.

He grinned, "And it's always true."

Ethan reached for her just as a loud cry reached their ears.

Emma smiled, "Sounds like Margaret Rose is awake."

Ethan kept his grip on her arm, "Can't you be one of those mothers that let the help take care of the children?"

"No. It's teatime, meet us outside. It's a lovely day and I want to admire the tulips."

"As you wish my lady." Ethan sighed.

Emma kissed his cheek. "There will be plenty of time to be alone later."

"That's what you always say."

Emma smiled. "And aren't I always, right?"

Ethan pulled her close and kissed her mouth. "Yes, you always are."

They settled on a blanket in the gardens in view of the tinkling fountain. The bright and delicate tulips and daisies surrounded them. One year old Margaret Rose sat in Emma's lap, truly the apple of his eye with soft blond curls and hazel eyes while three-year-old Oliver was throwing a stick for Tulip to fetch. He was a precocious little boy constantly getting into messes and mischief and Ethan loved him more for it. He had his midnight black hair but Emma's sky-blue eyes. Daisy lay with her head on Ethan's thigh. It was an idyllic scene, and it was everything Ethan had ever wanted.

"You know she's a teacher," Ethan said as Emma made sure Margaret Rose's bonnet was secure.

"Who is?" she asked.

"Reggie's guest. Ms. Sophie Matthews."

The woman Reggie had met on one of his sojourns to London and had immediately become smitten with. And as Reggie generally disliked the company of others this was quite a feat! Yet, Ethan suspected there was more to the kindly schoolteacher than Reggie was letting on.

"Oh yes," said Emma, "I quite like that about her."

"Planning to recruit her to the White Angel?" Ethan asked, referring to the infirmary he had built and where Emma spent most of her time when not with the children.

"That's not a bad idea." she confirmed.

"I suppose if he marries her, I'll have to build a schoolhouse." Ethan said dejectedly.

Emma laughed, "Don't sound so glum about it."

Ethan shrugged.

"Oliver put that stick down and come over here." Emma chastised as Oliver was now playing tug of war with Tulip over the stick.

Oliver dropped the stick and returned to their blanket.

"Have some berries." Emma suggested handing over a bowl of strawberries and blueberries.

Oliver looked at Ethan.

"Go on, do as your mother says." he encouraged.

Oliver picked up a blueberry and popped it into his mouth.

"Should we intervene?" Ethan asked.

"With Reggie?" Emma responded already reading his train of thought.

"Seems only fair. His attempt to murder me is why we are both here. It's only logical we return the favor."

"I agree," Emma concurred. "On one condition."

"Must there always be a condition?" Ethan sighed.

"I think you'll like this one."

Ethan perked up, "Is that so?"

"Yes, they have to be as happy as we are."

"And so, they shall." Ethan promised as Oliver stuffed a strawberry into his mouth.

For who knew better about being happy then they did.