Chapter 35

Ethan had forgotten this drawing had existed.

He was so young when Victoria left, he didn't have many memories of her. Except for her laugh, she had a pretty laugh and she liked to carry him around as if he was a doll. His parents never really recovered after she was gone and in part is to blame why they had taken that trip to the America's. Father was interested in seeing the country and its booming industries. They were gone for six months and sent regular letters regaling the food, people, and strange customs. Ethan had missed them; he'd begged to come on the journey, but they had deemed it not safe and more important for Ethan to stay in England and keep up with his studies. Of course, had he joined them he wouldn't be alive today and then Reggie really would be the Earl of Salisbury. What a frightful thought?

"Sister?" Emma had repeated. "I thought you were an only child?"

"No. Victoria was ten years older than me." Ethan relayed.

"What happened to her?" Emma asked.

"She ran off with a soldier. A distant cousin of Viscount Hawthorn." Ethan said, naming one of the neighboring noblemen.

"Why would she run off?" Emma asked genuinely curious.

"My parents didn't approve of the match. Victoria hadn't had her come out yet and they thought her too presumptuous. He also didn't have a title and was only the third son of Baron."

"So, she ran off and you never heard from her again?" Emma asked, shocked.

"We did not."

"How old was she at this time?"

"She'd just turned seventeen."

"Have you not looked for her?" Emma asked, surprised.

"When I was older, I hired investigators, but nothing turned up. She clearly didn't want to be found."

"What was this soldier's name?" Emma asked.

"Benjamin Wright."

"Did you learn what happened to him?" she inquired.

"He was killed in the second Anglo-Burmese War."

"Did they have children?"

"None that I know of."

"Who drew this picture?"

"My Uncle Laurence."

Emma smiled, "So that's where Reggie's artistic ability comes from."

"Yes, much to Aunt Isabelle's displeasure." Ethan said grinning.

"We should have this framed." Emma declared holding the paper up.

"If you like... I'm sorry I never mentioned having a sister." Ethan added sheepishly.

Emma squeezed his hand. "I understand why you didn't."

"So, the search continues?" Ethan asked.

"I'm not giving up." Emma said forthrightly.

"And what if it really was an accident?" he asked.

"If it was, I'll marry you."

A hopeful promise. But they both knew it hadn't been an accident just as Emma would not change her answer to his proposal.

Despite this he wished her luck in discovering what had happened that dreary October day. And if it delayed her stay at Lavender Hall? Well, he wouldn't complain about that either.