Chapter 26

The birth had been difficult but now mother and son were resting comfortably. Emma was invited to spend the night, but she was eager to return to Lavender Hall and Ethan. Mostly Ethan. She didn't like how their conversation had ended. She knew he would be upset by her news; she was shocked herself when the letter had arrived. But there was nothing she could do, an elderly gentleman in Leeds needed her. He'd suffered a stroke and required round the clock care. It was true what she had said, Ethan didn't really need her anymore.

After graciously accepting the apple pie and poppyseed muffins as payment for her services Emma returned to Ethan's carriage to make the return journey to Lavender Hall. In the hours since she had left the snow had picked up and now coated the land as far as the eye could see. Emma was grateful they didn't have far to travel.

As the carriage bumped along, she wondered how she was ever going to tell Ethan good-bye. The thought of never seeing him again was heart wrenching. If only she had been born of noble birth. But if she had, she never would have gotten to know Ethan as she did now. It was because of the circumstances under which they had met that they cared so deeply for one another.

That he was willing to give up everything he had for her was very illuminating. Emma could tell he had been sincere and would have done it if she had agreed. But she could never ask that of him. And he must have known that.

Emma's musings were interrupted when the carriage suddenly lurched to the right side. The apple pie slid off the seat onto the floor, but Emma was able to keep a hold on the basket containing the muffins. Shortly thereafter, the coachman opened the door and popped his head in. He was a short man with murky brown hair beneath a tricorn hat and black cape.

"Sorry miss. We've broken a wheel. We're not too far from Lavender Hall. I'm going to ride over and get help. I shouldn't be gone too long." he relayed.

"Oh, all right." Emma said, though she was beginning to shiver now that the door was open.

"Sit tight. I'll return shortly."

He closed the door and Emma heard him saddling one of the horses and riding off.

And so, Emma sat and sat and sat. An hour passed, two, had it been three? She was so numb with cold now she couldn't even keep track of how much time had elapsed. But she did know one thing: she wouldn't make it much longer in these temperatures. Her last thought before nodding off was, what a shame it was that help would arrive too late to rescue her.