The Orphanage

My good eye shots open and I see this large man on top of me and I see the cop uniform. I struggled wanting to get free but he was too strong, he got me on my stomach and cuffs around my wrists. His partner grabbed my bags from the car and carried them to their car. The cop that had me pick me up made me walk to the car and get into the back seat. I was pissed I got caught but wondering who the hell called it in that a kid was there.

"P-p-p-please I don't want to bring harm. I just needed a safe place to stay the night." I pleaded with them hoping they had a heart.

They get in the front of the car and pull away while the one in the passenger seat says "You're just a child, why are you out and about alone in the streets? This place isn't safe for a kid like you." She sounded shocked but still stern.

"I-I ran away from my home. Please, I don't want to go back at all, anything but that, please. I just want a fresh start." I can feel my heart racing in my chest as I plead with them.

She sighs, "What's your name child?" She asked with a hint of sympathy.

"The name I gave myself is Skylar. I don't want to be known by my old name,'' rubbed my wrists as the cuffs were tight.

She nods and writes something down as we take a few minutes to get to the police station. They take me inside and sit me down in a chair, I just look around as I wait. They do bring my bag in and place them on the desk as another cop sits down looking at me. I just look away from them seeing other people cuffed sitting on a bench together. They had tattoos all over their arms, necks and faces. I can tell gang members from that alone.

"So Skylar, when's your date of birth?" They ask me and I turn to look at them.

"October 31st," I say.

"Last name and age?" They ask again looking at their computer.

"No last name and 13 years old," I keep the answers short and to the point.

"What is going on under the eye patch and where are your parents?" They ask me and give me a side-eye.

"No parents, I'm all alone." I lie, not caring. "I was cut badly by an animal so I had to get stitches to fix the 4 deep cuts." I remove the bandage showing the wound. I see their face go pale and rush to me taking a closer look.

"Can you see at all out of that eye?" They take a small flashlight and shine it into my face.

"A small amount but it's mainly just blurry silhouettes," I say, flinching when it shines in my good eye.

They ask a few more questions before taking me to a private room. They had that doctor that checked me over a few days ago walk in and she nodded yes. They leave the room and talk for a while and I can hear the third voice with theirs. I just sat there eating the burger they got me as I was rather hungry. Soon the cop and a random person walk in looking at me. She looked shocked and came over kneeling down. She tells me she's with CPS and gonna take me to the orphanage.

I hated that idea but I couldn't fight her on this so I agreed. We gather my things and go to her car outside. I get in the back seat eating my burger as I watch the city pass by. It took a good 20 minutes driving to the orphanage as there was some traffic slowing us down. We soon made it and they took me inside. There weren't too many other kids around maybe 10 at most. I keep quiet and head down not wanting to draw any attention to myself.