XXX: A New Opportunity

"You're not trying to rip off my sister, are you?" Tyler asked.

"Tyler!" Mom said, discouraging his behavior.

"What? This guy comes knocking on our door after only hearing a fragment of what she can play. Is he real?"

Seriously? Mom treats me like a guest and then when we're in front of someone else she pretends we're family?

"I guess Tyler has a point," I said.

"I know it seems sketchy," the guy said. "But I promise that I work with people in the music industry. I can't stay for long, but here's my business card," he said, handing me a card with his name and contact information. "Contact me if you're interested."

I took the card from him and he walked back out the front door.

"Are you sure that guy is a real producer?" Tyler asked.

"There's only one way to find out," I responded.

—---------------------------------------------------

I would have been severely jet-lagged from adjusting to California time so fast, but I was tired from all the traveling. I technically had to wake up when the plane landed, and it was about 6:00 in the morning in Japan. I still didn't fall asleep until about 1:00 am California time, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I didn't wake up until 10:30 the next day. When I got out of bed and headed downstairs, I saw mom up and doing her household chores.

"Where's Tyler?' I asked.

"Oh, he's at school. You slept in very late!" she said. "He left over two hours ago."

My school schedule has been a little wacky lately. I was in my last year of high school, so I had some things to do before or after school, along with getting a free period on some days. She was right, though. Shiratorizawa usually started at the same time in the morning.

"I guess," I said. "But I don't have anywhere to be, so I get a free pass to sleep in."

"That's true," she said. "As long as you aren't sleeping the day away."

I didn't like it when she said that. My uncle used those words whenever dad and I would go to visit him on weekends. He said that I was "sleeping the day away" and not doing anything productive.

"That's what uncle Haruki always said." I was subtly trying to tell her to back off, but I knew she wouldn't take it that way. I don't know why, but it bothers me so much when I hear her say a certain word or phrase that somehow reminds me of anything but her. I'm just being dramatic, but I sometimes can't help feeling that way.

"Ah, your dad's brother."

Stop trying to make it worse than it already is. I can't stand it when you pretend to care about my life. Especially dad's. You didn't even reach out until you got sick yourself. It's so selfish, really. I can't believe I came out here to see you. Such a waste of a trip. Dad died and you didn't even care. Now you expect me to care about you. This is complete bullshit.

That's what I wanted to say to her, at least. Though deep down, I knew that I'd just be wasting my own time and energy being mad at her.

—-------------------------------------------------

She left an hour later to go into her work office for a few hours, which meant I had a chance to be by myself. I played the piano, and kept learning and practicing Historiette no. 2. I was playing the piano for a while, but naturally I got tired of it. I went back upstairs to my room and found the business card from the guy yesterday.

Luke Smith, Music Producer.

XXX-XXX-XXXX

I took the card in my hand and called the number on the card.

"Hello?" He answered, reluctantly.

"Hi," I said. "You passed by my mother's house last night on your walk while I was playing the piano. I'm y/n, the girl you gave your business card to."

"I remember! Well y/n, I'm glad you decided to call." He said. "May I ask a few questions? I just have to make sure you can work for me."

"That's fine," I responded.

"How old are you?" He asked.

"I'll be eighteen in a few months."

"Perfect. I'm assuming you're a senior in high school, right?" He asked.

"I think I'm equivalent to a senior."

"What do you mean by equivalent?" He asked, suspiciously.

"I'm the same age, but my school is different from most American high schools."

"Okay." I heard the sound of pen scribbling on paper in the background through the line. "I need your home address. You live with your mom, right?" He asked.

"I'm visiting my mother," I responded.

"Divorced parents I'm assuming?" He asked. "What is your dad's address?"

"My dad passed away three years ago," I said.

"Really? I'm sorry y/n, I didn't know. I apologize for assuming." The tone in his voice sounded sincere about his apology. "Who is your legal guardian? And what is your home address?" He asked.

"Well, technically I don't live with anybody, but my friend's parents signed a legal document to look out for me so I didn't have to move back to America."

"Wait..." He sounded angry and confused. "You're telling me you don't even live in America?"

"No. I live in Sendai, Japan. My dad's old house was left in my name but I don't live there. I go to a private high school called Shiratorizawa and live in the dorms there." Maybe I should have mentioned that I didn't live in America sooner.

"I'm sorry, y/n." He said. "But I'm not able to work with you unless you live in Los Angeles or somewhere nearby. However, you don't even live in this country. If you're planning to move here after you finish high school in Japan, then give me a call when you arrive. If not, I'm glad to have met you and I'm sure that you will get a career in music wherever you live."

"I'm sorry to have wasted your time, Mister Smith. If I end up living here for some reason, then I will definitely contact you as soon as I arrive. However, I've lived in Japan for all of my life and can't imagine leaving."

"I understand," he said. "I used to live in Truckee and tried to make a career out of becoming a professional snowboarder, but it didn't work out for me. I was visiting my cousin in LA when I had a chance to meet with a producer. He wanted to recruit me, but I couldn't imagine living here. Eventually, Truckee got a lot more expensive and I couldn't afford to live there anymore being a mediocre-level snowboarder. So I called the guy back a few years later and moved here. Now I'm a producer, just like he was. Unlike you though, I didn't have the talent or discipline to do what I wanted. You will get far in life, y/n. I assure you."

"Thank you for everything, Mister Smith."

"Please, just call me Luke."

"Okay, Luke. Thank you for the opportunity. If I end up back in Los Angeles, I will give you a call." I was certain I'd never want to live here, but I guess we never know what will happen in the future, so it might have been a possible destination for me. I mean, who knows? "One question," I said. "How old are you?"

"I'm twenty-two." He responded.

"Wow!" I said, impressed. "You're a lot younger than I thought."

"Yeah, I guess I'm pretty young. I moved to LA when I was nineteen after I didn't get what I wanted after high school. It was my only choice since I didn't go to college." He sounded slightly regretful, which made me feel sympathetic toward him.

"Well, Luke. If you ever go back to Truckee, I think you should follow your passion. Even if it's not exactly what you want, Opportunities always come."

"Thanks y/n. I'm sorry I couldn't have been more helpful, but I hope to hear from you someday."

"Likewise," I responded. "Goodbye, Luke."

"Goodbye y/n."