Chapter Eight

SONG: You Won't Find Me by Narrow Skies

Nova Johnson

Olivia showed me around the bakery, she made sure I knew the name and price of every item they sold at the store. Just in case any customer asks, I can be 'tip top' to my answers. I changed my surname to make her feel more at ease, I guess the little boy meant a lot to her.

"Alright, that's everything you need to know. Repeat it all."

"The baking section is in the bac, do not leave the till unattended at all times and keep a good attitude when working with customers. The customer is not always right in this Bakery and if I feel unease then I should inform you immediately."

She looks at me in shock, before nodding her head with a downturn smile.

I could tell she did not expect me to repeat everything word by word, but I guess when revising for maths, you pick up on the important things. Olivia hands me an apron with the stores name printed in black - Olives Bakery.

"Great, now please prepare for the customers to come. You are on tills today! Wear a good smile." Olivia pinches my cheeks and walks back to the other workers in the kitchen, I stand behind the till and stretch out my hands. This should not be as hard as they say it is. I tighten the apron around my waist and push my curls into a tight ponytail.

The day moved fast for my liking, the customers in Seattle were absolutely lovely and treated people with such respect. I have been working for four hours now and my shift has nearly come to an end, Olivia praises me for my good work and for the first time- she is so far the best manager I have ever met.

"Next!" I yell over the loud crowdy atmosphere of the bakery.

"My usual Olive-" My head raises, and my eyes lock with a pair of blue ones. Everything stilled. Maybe because of last night's act, I was drunk, and I was definitely not proud of myself.

"What is your usual?" I whisper, afraid to make eye contact as I stare down at the till screen.

"Black coffee, two sugars, no milk." I type it in, and I see him grabbing his wallet from the back of his trousers. He flicks through a couple of notes before handing me a five-dollar bill, I take it from him. Our fingers grazing one another, I tuck it into the cashier. "Keep the change." He walked away and acted as if he did not know me at all.

If only he knew I was drunk, I never stalk others...

"Nova, go on your break lovely!" Olivia yells from the kitchen, I look up and see one of the other employees ready to take my place. I smile, stepping to the side as I undo my apron. Olivia hands me some bread that she made for my lunch, her kindness does not do her justice.

I step out of the bakery and walk down until I reach the edge of the road. I take out a packet of cigarettes and rub onto my forehead lightly. I guess you could say I am a little traumatised from Leo's act, I guess you could say I am just a little scared of him.

My mother ruined his brother's life, I know that I know that I am living off the same money she gained from it. I did not mean harm, I-I really didn't. I guess you could say-I can become slightly overbearing sometimes.

I did not light the cigarette and tuck it back into the box before leaving it beside me, I hear sounds and barking dogs.

I turn my head and immediately jump onto my feet, Leo and a couple of his friends were walking in my direction. "Run Johnson- run!" Leo yells out laughing, I did not think twice before rushing away.

When my body collides with another, I feel something hot burn into my skin. I look up to see Alexander staring down at the coffee that has fallen from his hand.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I look back, seeing Leo and his friends closer than ever.

I rush past Alexander and try to hide somewhere where they won't be able to find me; I spot an alleyway and slip inside.

Hiding against the wall, I cover my falling tears and sobs with my hands.

It was times like this where I really hated my mum, I hated her. I hated her with every ounce of my heart, I wait for Leo to walk past but nothing...not a single footstep. I decide, to be safe to wait for another five minutes and when I look out. No one was on the road, is this a trick? I step out and walk back to the shop light on my feet.

I wipe the tears and rub the mascara that has stained my cheeks before entering the bakery. I then see Alexander picking up another coffee, he thanks Olivia and turns to face me.

"You owe me five dollars Nina," he slurs as he walks past me.

Olivia stares at me with her arms folded, she then looks at the clock above her head. "Your break was over five minutes ago Nova?" She stacks up some of the plates from the empty tables and hands them to me, I collect it from her.

"I know, I-I-I'm sorry."

"Why do you look so flushed for? Are you okay?" She asks me, I hated it when people ask if I'm okay. Did they expect me to break down in front of them? No, no I am not okay.

I nod my head, "yeah...I'm fine."

"Alright, you go off home, same time tomorrow Nova and this time no overtaking your break." She chuckles, I settle the plates into the kitchen sink and gather my things. After saying goodbye to Olivia, I exit the bakery and look both ways.

My body shivers from fear, I run towards my car.

I run as fast as I could and look back every once in a while, my fingers dig into my bag to find my car keys. Once I reached my car door, I see my car window smashed in.

My fingers rush through my hair, I knew exactly who did this. I open my car door and watch the glass pieces fall all over my shoes. I kick it to the side and brush the rest of the glass off my chair.

Settling down, I drive home whilst holding in my tears.

Crying gets you nowhere, Nova.

I get home safely and park my car in its usual spot. I exit and head for the stairs, opting not to take the elevator. I walk down the dark hallway to Alexander's door after reaching my level. My knuckles graze the wooden door as I wait for an answer.

Once the door opens, my neck falls back, and I look into his eyes.

"What do you want?" I take out five dollars from my back pocket and hand it to him.

"My behaviour yesterday- I apologise, I was drunk, and I had no idea what I was doing. And-I'm sorry for today as well." He glances between me and the five-dollar bill, his hands reach out not to take the money but to brush something off my cheeks.

My stomach swarms with butterflies just by his touch.

I stood there in shock, "I don't want your money." He closes the door behind him, and I hear his footsteps depart, I slide the five dollars underneath his door and make my way into my apartment.

I drop my bag to the side, and don't take a second to lock my door.

I kick of my shoes, open my fridge and take out another bottle of wine with a big tub of ice cream. I dive onto my couch and switch on the television, I pour myself an entire glass of wine before chugging it down.