Chapter 5: Improvised Ace

"Let's go!" Kora yelled firmly, everyone on her team getting in position to begin the 3rd and final round. Everything depended on whether Leah could reach the spark first, and whether or not they could avoid losing it after that. What is more, since none of team 2 knew their plan, they had high hopes of it actually working.

However, the 1st-year trainees were about to notice things couldn't be that easy. 'Come on, Leah... You can win...' Ravi thought at that moment, his fists clenching as Cayde then gave the awaited signal to start.

The exo's words resonated in an echo as everything slowed down for Leah. Her right foot stepped hard on the floor while pushing back against it, an small aura of light-blue electricity taking form around her body which was leaning forward.

'One last push... Even if I'm a bit tired right now, all I need is one second!' thought the huntress with a determined face... only to then rush forward in a clean move that pushed back the wind and dust.

In no more than 2 seconds, she had already reached the center area of the map, where the mass of white energy lied floating in the air. She could do it. She had the spark at her reach and right on front of her. Just a few more steps and it would be hers... Or that is what she thought at first.

During those brief moments, the brunette exalted as she noticed someone showing herself from the other side of the spark... Someone who was enveloped in as much lightning as her... and that showed a smirk while closing in to the mass of light.

'But... Huh? Lara? How?' thought Leah in surprise, seeing how the 2nd-year girl was now closer to the spark than she was. 'What is she doing here?! How did she know I was gonna charge at full speed?!?! Did she actually predicted that?!?!'

'Just as I expected...' Lara told herself. 'I knew you may try and go for the spark before anyone else. Such a shame I'm just as fast if not faster than you are. Well then... 1st-year... I guess it's my win...'

Lara's hand stretched as it got closer and closer to the spark. On the other hand, Leah gritted her teeth while watching from the other side, her hand still not as close to the mass of light as Lara's was, and her mind starting to get filled with the thought of finally giving up...

...

...

...

But no... no... no...

'NOT YET!' the huntress suddenly claimed, placing her hand on the ground while rotating her entire body. The flow of electricity combined with the momentum of her movements was enough to help her reach the spark, not with her hand, but with her foot. After all, if she could not grab it before her opponent, she would stop her from grabbing it now.

"What?!?!" Lara exalted in disbelief as Leah kicked the sphere of white energy with great force, sending it flying to one side, and to bounce against a wall.

The 2nd-year girl clearly didn't expect Leah to move in such unexpected way, so she also wasn't ready to keep chasing after the spark. On the contrary, the brunette huntress quickly jumped up and over Lara, catching the spark after its rebound... and running forward once more.

She had done it... She had actually gotten past Lara and was on her way to the rift.

But it was not over. As Leah stepped into the room containing the rift, she was immediately received by the other members of team 2: Kerha and Maerlon. Surprised to see that Leah had actually outsmarted Lara, both trainees rushed to stop the huntress, who was now having it harder by having to deal with 2 people. However...