I sighed. Maybe I misjudged them. Maybe they only wanted to live here in peace like everyone else. I only wished they didn’t feed on people. But then again, I can’t change the way they survive. 

We rode in silence as Drew tore the asphalt from the road with his speed. I didn’t mind though; I was always a sucker for speed. I rested my head against his back as I waited for the bike to come to a stop. 

I couldn’t help but think about everything that I saw tonight. 

How was I able to compel Nathan? I knew for sure that I was no vampire. But could I be something else? 

The thought made me shiver. In the old book I found in the library, the author spoke about witches too, but all my life I’ve never done anything ‘witchy’. And if I had such a gift, trust me, I’d know. 

Sighing, I decided to embrace the wind that brushed my skin and anticipate whatever Drew had to tell me. Maybe he had answers. 

But the thought also annoyed me. If he knew something about me, why was he only telling me now? Why didn’t he tell me from the beginning? 

This is why I insisted that we spend time getting to know each other. There was obviously so much that I didn’t know. 

Still, it was all in time.  

In what felt like three minutes, we were pulling up to a familiar house deep in the woods, but I was just getting to analyse it, since the last time I was here, I came in passed out and went out clutching his back for dear life, so I had no time to view it. 

It was obviously old, but it was beautiful and uniquely designed, much like the castle I live in. 

As I shuffled from the bike, I took a moment to really admire it. It seemed like a house with a story. I already loved it. 

“How did you get this house?” I asked out of mere curiosity as he held onto my hand. My stomach erupted in butterflies at the simple touch and it plummeted even more when he smiled down at me. 

“It was my home. My whole family used to live here. It was big enough to house my mother and my five siblings. When my mom remarried to my step dad who  had three kids, this was the perfect size for them all.” 

“Them? Weren’t you with them?” 

He chuckled, though there was no humour behind it as he shook his head. “It wasn’t exactly all rainbows and sunshine after I became a vampire.” 

I could only imagine, but he didn’t say anything else. I didn’t know if he didn’t want to talk about it, or if it genuinely didn’t matter, but I wanted to know. 

“How old are you anyways?”